Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Aug 11 at 22:39 PM

O's Slump To Third Straight Loss

Leyton Orient 1 - 3 Wycombe Wanderers
npower League 1

ORIENT slumped to their third defeat from three at the start of the 2011/12 season when Wycombe stormed to a 3-1 victory at Brisbane Road on Tuesday.

The O's were left kicking themselves after defensive sloppiness gifted Ben Strevens and Joel Grant goals from headers, while Stephen Dawson was guilty of a foul in the box for Scott Donnelly's penalty.

It all meant Dean Cox's first goal of the season counted for nothing as Orient were forced to contemplate another pointless 90 minutes.

Wycombe didn't have to wait long to take the lead as a corner was only cleared as far as Gareth Ainsworth, who crossed from the right for Ben Strevens to nod home from close range.

The O's hit back on 14 minutes with their first League goal of the season, Elliot Omozusi crossing low from the right, where Cox held his run to hook his foot around the ball to guide it into the bottom right corner.

In an action packed start to the game though, Wycombe re-established their advantage when Stephen Dawson was adjudged to have fouled Stuart Beavon inside the box.

Donnelly stepped up to take the spot kick, and although Lee Butcher dived the right way, the Wycombe man managed to squeeze his shot into the corner.

The O's did look brighter before the break than on Saturday, but Wycombe still nearly added a third on 30 when the ball flew backwards off Scott Cuthbert's head and into the path of Joel Grant. Fortunately for the home side, Butcher was alert and he was quickly off his line to block.

Orient had a chance to hit back 11 minutes before the break when Charlie Daniels drove at the visitors' backline and laid the ball to Stephen Dawson outside him, who flashed a shot wide of the far post.

Daniels then forced a save from Wycombe keeper Nikki Bull with a low drive across the goal, but Wycombe reached the interval with their lead intact.

Just five minutes into the second period they gave Orient a mountain to climb when Ainsworth found space on the right to cross and Grant directed his header into the bottom left corner.

The two goal buffer knocked Orient off their feet and much like on Saturday, the concession of a second half goal left the visitors in an extremely comfortable position.

Eight minutes from time George Porter did have a chance to make life difficult for the visitors when David Mooney's through ball put him in, but with the defenders getting back, he failed to hit the target from 16 yards.

At the other end, Wycombe sub Elliot Benyon lashed a dipping shot just over from 25 yards and it was fitting that they had the final word on a night they squeezed the life out of the O's.

Leyton Orient: Butcher; Omozusi, Cuthbert, Chorley, Daniels; Spring; Smith (Porter 58), Dawson, Cox; Revell (Mooney 58), Cureton
Subs: Forbes, Laird, Richardson

Goal: Cox 14

Booked: Chorley

Wycombe: Bull; Foster, Tunnicliffe, Winfield, Sandell; Ainsworth (Bloomfield 62), Halls, Donnelly (Harding 90+3), Grant; Beavon (Benyon 79), Strevens
Subs: Johnson, Rendell

Goals: Strevens 8, Donnelly pen 16, Grant 50

Referee: Gavin Ward

Attendance: 3,503 (480 away)

    Latest Match Reports