Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 20 Aug 11 at 16:56 PM

O's Thrashed In London Derby

Brentford 5 - 0 Leyton Orient
npower League 1

ORIENT'S miserable start to the 2011/12 season continued with a 5-0 thumping at Brentford on Saturday.

Sam Saunders scored two and set up another as three of Brentford's five goals came from outside the box.

The O's were undone by a quickfire double at the start of the second period, which quickly trebled Brentford's interval advantage and Orient had no answer to their cross-capital rivals.

It may have been different had Leon Legge, the scorer of Brentford's second goal, had seen red for a 17th minute foul on David Mooney, but that couldn't mask another below par performance from the O's.

Orient didn't have to wait long for that familiar feeling of falling behind this term, as Niall McGinn was allowed far too much time and space to carry the ball forward and fire past Lee Butcher at his near post from 25 yards.

With 17 minutes on the clock, Brentford defender Legge could count himself fortunate to escape a red card when he was judged to have brought Mooney down as he raced through. It looked as though he had taken the ball, but once referee Andy Haines awarded the foul, surely the offence merited more than a booking.

Orient were creating the better chances as the half wore on and Bees keeper Richard Lee had to be off his line smartly to deny Stephen Dawson after he collected a Michael Richardson pass on his chest.

Then, seven minutes before the break Dean Cox clipped the top of the hosts' crossbar with a clever chip from range.

At the other end Saunders headed Gary Alexander's cross over the top, but Orient reached the break with genuine hope of over overturning the deficit.

But that hope was extinguished within nine minutes of the start of the second period as Brentford took the game away from their visitors with a quickfire double.

The O's defending could certainly be questioned for Brentford's second as Saunders delivered a free kick to the back post for an unmarked Legge to nod home.

Then, with 54 minutes played, Saunders sent a 20-yard free kick into the top left corner to leave Orient well beaten with over half-an-hour still to play.

Jake Reeves headed wide as Brentford looked to heap further misery on the visitors, but it was that man Saunders who eventually added the fourth.

The dead ball expert showed his prowess from free kicks again 15 minutes from time, sending a scorching 25-yard effort into the same top left corner he found for Brentford's third goal.

Brentford should have made it 5-0 within a minute when sub Charlie MacDonald was slipped in, but he clipped over with the goal at his mercy.

Mooney forced a scrambled save from Lee five minutes from the end and Dean Cox was also denied by the home stopper, but it was Brentford who had the last word as Marcus Bean steered home from 12 yards in the final minute.

Brentford: Lee; O'Connor, Legge, Osborne, Woodman; McGinn, Douglas, Reeves (Bean 70), Saunders (Weston 76); Alexander (MacDonald 70), Donaldson
Subs: Eger, Moore (GK)

Goals: McGinn 6, Legge 51, Saunders 54, Saunders 75, Bean 89

Booked: Legge, Saunders

Leyton Orient: Butcher; Omozusi, Cuthbert, Chorley, Daniels; Smith; Revell (Cureton 58), Richardson (Laird 68), Dawson, Cox; Mooney
Subs: Forbes, Porter, Spring

Booked: Cuthbert

Referee: Andy Haines

Attendance: 5,399 (704 away)

    Latest Match Reports