Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Aug 11 at 18:13 PM

O's Lose Lead In Fifth Straight Defeat

Leyton Orient 1 - 2 Carlisle United
npower League 1

ORIENT saw a lead go to waste as their losing streak at the start of the season was extended to a fifth game by Carlisle United.

It looked at though Orient would finally get off the mark when Jimmy Smith headed home from a Dean Cox free kick, but Carlisle had other ideas and turned the game on its head.

United debutant Lee Miller was the man who inflicted the misery on the hosts, equalising on 69 minutes and then notching the winner right at the death.

Leon McSweeney earned a quick booking on his return to action for a foul on Tom Taiwo midway inside the O's half, but it was at the other end that the first half-chance materialised, as Dean Cox worked space for a shot outside the box, but his right-footed effort took a deflection and flew wide.

Then, with 20 minutes on the clock, Jamie Cureton made his way past a couple of challenges before laying off for Leon McSweeney, whose shot had goalkeeper Adam Collin moving across his goal, but Matty Robson's block took it wide.

The O's were starting to create chances and David Button's good punch had them moving again three minutes later as Charlie Daniels rampaged forward and clipped the ball towards Cureton in the box. He took the ball down and tried to lob Collin, but the Cumbrians' stopper was well positioned to save.

Carlisle's first genuine threat came from the boot of right back James Tavernier who drilled comfortably wide of debutant Button's goal on 26 minutes.

Button was then called into action to tip a dipping shot from James Berrett over the top after he got the better of Stephen Dawson in midfield and shot for goal from 30 yards.

At the other end Cox hooked a volley over the top following a McSweeney cross, but neither team could force the breakthrough before the interval.

Not long after the break, Scott Cuthbert headed Charlie Daniels' corner back across goal and David Mooney's volley from a tight angle was blocked by Thirlwell next to the post.

The Cumbrians were powerless to prevent Smith from giving the hosts a 53rd minute lead though as he stole in to head beyond Collin's dive from Cox's left wing free kick.

Carlisle introduced François Zoko from the bench as they looked for a route back into the game and he almost provided it when he nicked the ball away from a hesitant Button, but Ben Chorley was covering round to make a superb saving tackle.

But 22 minutes from time Carlisle were more successful in finding a leveller and it was all too easy as Zoko ran at the O's down the right and delivered a cross for Miller to thump his header home.

Orient sub Jonathan Téhoué tried to force the issue at the other end, shooting powerfully for goal from 20 yards, but it was too centrally placed abd although Collin fumbled it, he recovered to grab at the second attempt.

Carlisle's Liam Noble slid a shot just past Button's right hand post 10 minutes from the end, but seven minutes later they found the goal that left Orient still pointless after five games.

Miller was the man to score, scrambling home after Robson's long-range free kick struck the bar and Button brilliantly parried out Liam Noble's follow up.

Five minutes of stoppage time were played, but there was no way back for the O's.

Leyton Orient: Button; Omozusi, Cuthbert, Chorley, Daniels; Smith; McSweeney (Laird 78), Dawson; Cox; Mooney (Téhoué 65), Cureton (Revell 82)
Subs: Forbes, Richardson

Goal: Smith 53

Booked: McSweeney, Omozusi, Cuthbert

Carlisle: Collin; Tavernier, Michalik, O'Halloran, Robson; McGovern (Curran 79), Berrett, Taiwo (Zoko 58), Thirlwell (Noble 67), Welsh; Miller
Subs: Livesey, Gillespie (GK)

Goal: Miller 68, Miller 87

Booked: Taiwo

Referee: Dean Whitestone

Attendance: 3,524 (363 away)

Leyton Orient 1 - 2 Carlisle United

    Latest Match Reports