Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 14 Feb 12 at 22:41 PM

Smith Strikes To Keep Away Run Going

AFC Bournemouth 1 - 2 Leyton Orient
npower League 1

ORIENT made it four wins in their last five away games with a battling 2-1 victory at AFC Bournemouth on Tuesday night.

Kevin Lisbie and Jimmy Smith scored the goals as the O's returned to action following a weather-enforced two-week break in the best possible manner.

They had to dig deep for their success as Bournemouth responded well to Lisbie's 17th minute strike to level through Marc Pugh and look the more threatening for the majority of the game.

But they didn't count on Smith's 75th minute header, as he got up to beat former O Charlie Daniels in the air and head home the winner.

There was an early yellow card for O's skipper Matthew Spring, who was caught in possession just inside his own half by Shaun MacDonald and he responded by chopping the home midfielder down, giving referee Iain Williamson the simple decision of booking him.

Bournemouth worked the free kick short, eventually finding Matt Tubbs in the right hand channel. The former Crawley man slipped the attentions of Scott Cuthbert, but wasted the opportunity by dragging his shot harmlessly wide.

With 17 minutes on the clock Orient stunned the home support by moving into the lead. Debutant Ryan Dickson delivered a free kick from deep into the Cherries box, which was headed up into the air by a home defender. Lisbie controlled and from a tight angle managed to beat keeper Darryl Flahavan by his near post.

Flahavan would have been disappointed to concede from an unfavourable position for the O's striker, but Lisbie would have cared little as he notched his seventh of the season.

There was a real hearts in mouths moment for the visitors on 31 minutes when Lee Butcher took a heavy touch from Scott Cuthbert's backpass and only just managed to recover in time to smother Wes Thomas' challenge.

Thomas was involved again 60 seconds later and it was a more decisive contribution this time as he made a strong run down the right hand side and slid a low ball into the box that Tubbs let run for the onrushing Pugh to slot home.

Butcher had to get down sharply by his near post to keep out Donal McDermott's low shot after Dean Leacock held up Thomas in the right channel seven minutes before the break.

Charlie Daniels then had a pop from range, but Butcher watched it all the way to take the ball down by his feet and it was still 1-1 at the break.

It had been an impressive response to falling behind from the hosts, but Orient had a chance to sneak back in front four minutes after the restart when Dickson's right wing corner picked out Smith.

The O's midfielder rose to make the header, but it was directed too close to Flahavan, who was able to cling onto the ball.

At the other end, the home crowd had huge shouts for a penalty turned down on the hour after Leacock was almost punished for an underhit square ball to Cuthbert. Tubbs nipped in and Leacock recovered to make the challenge. The home side thought Leacock had dragged their man down but referee Iain Williamson disagreed.

Butcher made an excellent one-handed stop low to his left to keep Tubbs' curling shot out in the 67th minute as Bournemouth began to turn the screw again.

However, it was the O's who struck again with 15 minutes to go when they worked possession well in the left channel for Téhoué to hang up a cross, which Smith met with a towering header at the far post, giving Flahavan no chance.

Bournemouth threw on Scott Malone and Steve Fletcher as they searched for a leveller, but aside from a scramble in which Pugh had a shot blocked from close range, Orient stood firm to repel the pressure and claim the points.

Bournemouth: Flahavan; Francis, Zubar, Cook, Daniels; McDermott (Malone 78), Arter, MacDonald, Pugh (Fletcher 85); Thomas, Tubbs
Subs: Gregory, Purches, Stockley

Goal: Pugh 32

Booked: Arter

Leyton Orient: Butcher; Forbes, Cuthbert, Leacock, Dickson; Spring (Chorley 87); Lisbie, Smith, Laird, Cox; Téhoué (Porter 82)
Subs: Cureton, McSweeney, Taiwo

Goals: Lisbie 17, Smith 75

Booked: Spring, Forbes, Laird, Cuthbert, Butcher

Referee: Iain Williamson

Attendance: 5,412 (241 away)

    Latest Match Reports