Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Mar 12 at 18:20 PM

O's Hit By Last Gasp Sucker Punch

Leyton Orient 1 - 1 Walsall
npower League 1

TEN-MAN Orient were denied a first home win of 2012 by Olly Lancashire's last gasp leveller for Walsall at Brisbane Road on Saturday.

The O's led through Dean Cox's 34th minute strike for the majority of a scrappy Brisbane Road contest, despite Solomon Taiwo's harsh looking first half red card.

Russell Slade's men battled well against the extra man and had the chances to kill the game off through Kevin Lisbie, Calvin Andrew and Jimmy Smith.

But they didn't take them and were punished in the fifth minute of stoppage time by Lancashire's header.

The game marked Saddlers boss Dean Smith's first visit back to Brisbane Road since he left the role of assistant manager in 2009 and he was looking to extend an unbeaten run fpr his side of three games.

The contest failed to catch light early on as both sides struggled to make much of their possession and there were few chances before Cox struck the opener 11 minutes before the break.

Kevin Lisbie's persistence played a large part in the goal as he chased down a long kick from Marek Štěch's long kick, forced an error from Saddlers keeper David Grof and laid the ball off for Cox to find the unguarded net.

Just five minutes later, the game was turned on its head when referee Andy D'Urso decided to send Taiwo for an early bath.

It looked to be a harsh call as Taiwo went in for a tackle with Walsall's Florent Cuvelier, but D'Urso deemed it to have carried excessive force and Taiwo was off.

Walsall enjoyed more of the possession after the break, but struggled to break Orient down as it became clear why they are the division's second lowest scorers.

In fact, Orient created the bettter chances on the break despite their handicap and should have buried the contest on the hour when Marc Laird sent Lisbie through. Grof did well to narrow the angles and save from the O's striker to keep his side in it.

Calvin Andrew then came on for his debut and had a decent headed opportunity when he got on the end of a Cox cross, but in directing the header back across goal, he also nodded wide of the far post.

Then, in stoppage time, Cox burst clear down the left and passed square for Smith, who cut inside the last defender, but failed to beat Grof with his shot.

Those misses were to prove crucial as Walsall's Richard Taundry forced a spectacular save from Štěch with his long range shot, and then, from the resulting corner, Lancashire beat the keeper's jump to nod home.

Leyton Orient:Štěch; Forbes, Cuthbert, Chorley, Dickson (Taiwo 7); Smith, Leacock, Spring, Cox; Téhoué (Laird 46), Lisbie (Andrew 66)
Subs: Porter, Mooney

Goal: Cox 34

Booked: Spring, Leacock, Smith

Sent off: Taiwo

Walsall: Grof; Taundry, Lancashire, Butler, Sadler; Paterson, Cuvelier, Peterlin (Bowerman 72), Hurst (Beevers 85); Grigg (Nicholls 57), Macken
Subs: Walker (GK), Smith

Goal: Lancashire 90+5

Booked: Butler, Macken

Referee: Andy D'Urso

Attendance: 4,183 (281 away)

    Latest Match Reports