Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 06 Apr 12 at 18:08 PM

O's Punished In Closing Stages

Leyton Orient 0 - 3 Notts County
npower League 1

ORIENT slumped to a third straight defeat on Friday when they were punished for not making the most of their chances by Notts County.

For 65 minutes it looked at though it could be a Good Friday for the O's as they looked bright and inventive, creating a host of goalscoring opportunities.

But after squandering them all, Damion Stewart opened the scoring for Notts County 20 minutes from the end and they never looked back.

Jeff Hughes and Lloyd Sam piled on the agony for the Londoners as the gap between them and the drop zone shrunk to four points.

Orient's Jimmy Smith had the first shot of the match, drilling over the top from range with six minutes on the clock and it kicked off a half of chances for the O's midfielder.

He was twice denied by former O's keeper Stuart Nelson, first when Dean Cox's 32nd minute cross took a nick off a County defender and fell to Smith at the far post. The former Chelsea man controlled well, but couldn't force past Nelson, who dived to his left to save.

He had to dive the same way to save from Smith again five minutes before the interval after a Cox free kick got stuck in the visitors' area.

Then Smith miscued a header after being picked out by Spring, but it wasn't only him the chances were falling to.

Nelson did well again to save from Kevin Lisbie's attempted lob after David Mooney flicked through and the offside flag stayed down on 21, while the same player headed just over from a Cox delivery.

At the other end Jamie Jones was making his long-awaited return after 11 months out with shoulder and wrist injuries, and his only duty before the break was to field a hopeful angled drive from Daniel Bogdanovic with 42 minutes.

County forced the first opening after the restart when a high ball fell out of the sky towards Jeff Hughes, but the County man couldn't control his volley and he sliced wide.

The opportunities soon switched back to the usual source again as Lisbie did well down the left and cut back to the edge of the box where Smith controlled his shot well but just missed the right hand post.

Smith just seemed to be in the thick of all the action, and midway through the half the O's crowd thought they should have had a penalty when he was clattered by Stewart as he entered the area, but referee David Webb was unmoved.

And then, with Smith off the pitch injured, County moved into the lead when Stewart profited from a real moment of fortune.

The visitors' centre back was able to fire into an empty net after Jones collected an Alan Sheehan cross and collided with Terrell Forbes, with the O's defender only knocking the loose ball to Stewart.

Adam Reed thought he had levelled immediately but a flag was raised for offside and County left Orient shell shocked with a second 14 minutes from time when the Hugheses combined, Lee touching on a Sam cross for Jeff to finish.

Orient's misery was completed in stoppage time by their former loanee Sam, who found the net after Jones parried a swerving shot from Jon Harley.

Leyton Orient: Jones; Leacock, Chorley, Forbes, Dickson; Jimmy Smith (Taiwo 71), Spring, Reed, Cox (Porter 78); Mooney, Lisbie
Subs: Ben Youssef, Andrew, Rachubka (GK)

Booked: Leacock

Notts County: Nelson; Kelly, Stewart, Chilvers, Sheehan; Sam, Harris (Mahon 60), J Hughes, Judge; Bencherif (L Hughes 60); Bogdanovic (Harley 73)
Subs: Edwards, Feeeman

Goals: Stewart 70, J Hughes 76, Sam 90+7

Referee: David Webb

Attendance: 4,016 (606 away)

    Latest Match Reports