Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 03 Apr 12 at 21:35 PM

Rhodes Double Sinks O's

Leyton Orient 1 - 3 Huddersfield Town
npower League 1

ORIENT were unable to build on Matthew Spring's early goal as they lost out 3-1 to promotion-chasing Huddersfield Town at Brisbane Road on Tuesday night.

Spring smashed home with 14 minutes on the clock to give his side the lead, but Huddersfield hit back to turn the game on its head before the break.

Jimmy Smith's unfortunate own goal brought the Terriers level just four minutes after Spring's opener, and it came as no surprise that Jordan Rhodes was the man who settled iwith a goal either side of the break.

Few defences in League 1 have been able to stop the prolific Scotsman this term and he was on the spot to touch home following a long throw from Sean Morrison, then finish it late on with his second.

Orient got the boost of an early goal through their skipper Spring, who chested down and fired into the net from the edge of the box after George Porter's long throw was only half cleared by the Town defence.

Spring's goal - his fifth of the season - came with 14 minutes on the clock, but Huddersfield were level just four minutes later.

League 1's top scorer Rhodes was the man to force the goal, flicking goalwards from inside the six yard box after Alan Lee challenged for a Danny Ward corner. Orient's Smith got the last touch as he tried to get back to clear, but Rhodes shot looked likely to head in anyway.

Huddersfield were forcing a number of corners in the opening exchanges and they nearly moved into the lead from another flag kick on the half hour when Peter Clarke rose powerfully to nod towards goal, but Spring was stationed well on the far post to hack clear.

There wasn't much in the game, but Orient suffered the major blow of falling behind right on half time when Morrison's long throw was flicked on by Lee and there was Rhodes to touch home his 34th League goal of the campaign.

The Terriers had a great chance to double the advantage 12 minutes after the break when Porter gave the ball away in midfield and the visitors broke swiftly with Diego Arismendi crossing for an unmarked Rhodes, who headed over.

You'd have expected a striker in such prolific form to bury the opportunity and Orient responded to their left-off by introducing Kevin Lisbie from the bench.

Lisbie, who notched his first goal for the O's at Huddersfield at the end of September, threatened to grab another against the Terriers when he met Dean Cox's 73rd minute corner with a flicked header at the near post, but the ball ended up drifting wide of the far.

Orient were still well in the game but struggling to find a way through the Terriers defence as the rain fell in east London, and Huddersfield settled in at the death through Rhodes, who did a better job of judging the path a loose ball in the O's box before nudging past Paul Rachubka

Leyton Orient: Rachubka; Forbes, Chorley, Leacock, Dickson; Jimmy Smith; Porter, Spring, Laird (Lisbie 57), Cox, Mooney (Andrew 83)
Subs: Ben Youssef, Reed, Taiwo

Goal: Spring 14

Booked: Smith

Huddersfield: Smithies; Hunt (Woods 46), Morrison, P Clarke, T Clarke; Ward, Kay, Arismendi, Novak (Arfield 46); Lee (Cadamarteri 78), Rhodes
Subs: Roberts, Bennett (GK)

Goals: Smith og 18, Rhodes 45+1, Rhodes 90

Booked: Hunt, Lee

Referee: James Linington

Attendance: 3,674 (603 away)

    Latest Match Reports