THE oldest stand still in use at Brisbane Road, the East Stand first opened its doors to O’s fans in time for the start of the 1956/57 season, following the club’s promotion to Division Two.
The history of the stand actually dates back even further than that, as the club purchased the structure from the derelict Mitcham Stadium to replace a tiny existing stand, which could only seat 500 spectators,
Orient’s elevation to Division Two meant that an increase in capacity, and the East Stand provided just that, with covered seating for 2,600 now available.
When the O’s were promoted to the old Division One in 1962, it was decided that another 900 seats should be added to the structure, and the final wing, nearest the South Stand, was added.
The stand, which included the club’s offices and dressing rooms, remained much the same until 1999, when a small terraced section at the front of the structure was made all-seater.
The East Stand today houses visiting supporters to Brisbane Road, with the half at the south end of the ground given to away fans, and the north end allocated to home supporters.
– East Stand North (home supporters and Wyvern Suite): 2,133
– East Stand North (home disabled supporters) 15 disabled + 15 helpers
– East Stand South (away supporters): 1,459
– East Stand South (away disabled supporters) 7 disabled + 7 helpers