O's Crushed In First Half Blitz

access_time 9 years ago

Everton 5 – 0 Leyton Orient

Capital One Cup Round Two

EVERTON crushed the O’s at Goodison Park on Wednesday night to end their Capital One Cup participation at the second round stage.

The damage was done in 19 one-sided minutes in the opening period as the hosts brushed aside Orient’s early resistance to sweep into a 4-0 lead by the break.

Belgian debutant Kevin Mirallas was the star of the show, scoring two goals and laying on two more as Orient were buried by the Premier League side’s power.

Magaye Gueye added to the scoreline after the interval as the Toffees, who have started their top flight campaign in fine style, showed no mercy to their League 1 visitors.

The O’s began confidently as they looked for some early possession, but Everton soon took a grip on the game and former Toffees stopper Jamie Jones had to get down sharply to his left to touch Victor Anichebe’s angled drive to safety in the 14th minute.

Two minutes later the goal rush began as Steven Naismith picked a pass well in midfield, setting Mirallas clear in the right channel, and he found the far corner perfectly, giving Jones no chance with his precise effort.

Ben Chorley needed to make a terrific block to deny Magaye Gueye seconds later as Everton looked for more and they didn’t have to wait long to find it as Mirallas turned provider on 22.

His flick into Leon Osman’s path was perhaps a little fortunate, but the diminutive midfielder wasn’t going to miss from eight yards after the Belgian had deflected Leighton Baines’ cross into his path.

The chances were coming thick and fast as Jones parried a Naismith effort with Gary Sawyer getting across to block Mirallas’ effort from the rebound.

With 29 minutes on the clock it was three though as Mirallas continued to make a strong impact on his debut, sending in a powerful low shot that flew through Chorley’s legs and found the net via Jones’ left boot.

Jones would have felt he may have done better with Everton’s fourth as Anichebe’s 20-yard effort beat him for pace down low to his right, with the dive coming too late to prevent it from flying past him.

Five minutes before the break there was a rare chance for the O’s when Nathan Clarke’s long throw bounced in the box and Jimmy Smith sent a header over Jan Mucha’s crossbar, but it had been a harrowing first 45 minutes for the Londoners and the game was dead by the interval.

Martin Rowlands made his O’s debut early in the second period as a substitute for Anthony Griffith and Orient went close to registering themselves on the hour, when Dean Cox cut on to his right foot and shot for goal, only for Shane Duffy’s intervention to take the ball inches past the post.

Everton soon restored order and scored their fifth midway through the half when Seamus Coleman, whose surges down the right were a feature throughout, got in to stand a cross up to the back post, where Gueye crashed a volley into the net.

Cox went close again with a curling effort directed just wide of the far post and Everton, who made three substitutions at the break, were forced to play the final 15 minutes with 10 men after captain Phil Neville limped off injured.

They still created chances for a sixth though, and Mirallas really should have taken the matchball when Coleman teed him up again on 81, but he got the shot all wrong and sliced onto the roof of the net.

At the other end Jan Mucha thrust out a hand to deny Lee Cook late on as Orient were prevented even the scant consolation of a goal.

Everton: Mucha; Coleman, Jagielka (Barkley 46), Heitinga, Baines (Garbutt 46); Neville, Osman (Duffy 46); Naismith, Gueye, Mirallas; Anichebe

Subs: Jelavic, Distin, Howard (GK), Vellios

Goals: Mirallas 16, Osman 22, Mirallas 29, Anichebe 35, Gueye 67

Leyton Orient: Jones; James (McSweeney 47), Clarke, Chorley, Sawyer; Baudry; Odubajo (Cook 74), Smith, Griffith (Rowlands 56), Cox; Lisbie

Subs: Symes, Allsop (GK), Brunt, Mooney

Referee: Roger East

Attendance: 24,124