REPORT: O's Edge London Derby

access_time 9 years ago

Leyton Orient 1 – 0 Brentford

npower League 1

ORIENT made it back-to-back 1-0 victories as they registered their first home success of the campaign with a win over London rivals Brentford by the slenderest of margins.

Ryan Brunt stepped off the bench to make the difference, slotting home with 15 minutes left to keep the points in E10.

Brentford will argue they enjoyed more of the play in this derby duel, but it was the O’s who made it count when it mattered

Orient were unchanged from the side that defeated Swindon at the weekend and it was the hosts who fashioned the first chance when, with three minutes on the clock, Kevin Lisbie broke Brentford’s defensive line in the left channel and pulled back for Lee Cook, whose shot looked to be heading on target before a Bees defender got in the way.

From that early high point, though, Orient struggled to build and Brentford soon began to see more of the ball as they pushed Orient on to the back foot.

With 19 minutes played, Bees striker Clayton Donaldson managed to slip in behind Gary Sawyer, the lob was on but his effort lacked power and Ryan Allsop was able to save.

Donaldson then forced a decent reaction save from Allsop with a fierce shot from the right hand side of the penalty area, after Paul Hayes picked him out with a precise pass.

Former O’s loan player Tony Craig nodded over from a corner as the Bees continued to press, but the interval came with the scores still level.

Orient did begin the second period with more intensity to their play, but still the Bees had the first chance after the break when Jonathan Douglas’ free kick took a nick off the wall and flew not far over the home crossbar.

At the other end, Anthony Griffith’s long range shot fizzed a yard or so wide of the mark after a flowing move involving ex-Bee Martin Rowlands, Dean Cox and Michael Symes.

The game had more of an even feel to it, but Brentford were the team creating the chances and they went close midway through the half when Harry Forrester broke quickly and slid a fine pass through to Paul Hayes, who opted to clip towards goal and his shot deflected off Ben Chorley, creeping just wide of Allsop’s near post.

Allsop was called into action shortly afterwards, showing a strong hand to push Jake Bidwell’s 22-yard free kick away from danger, and then Harlee Dean headed straight at the O’s keeper following a free kick from the right.

But, with 15 minutes left to play, Orient stunned their visitors by moving ahead thanks to a smart finish from sub Brunt.

The on loan Stoke man controlled on his chest, swivelled and swept home after Brentford failed to clear a long throw into their box and Rowlands knocked the ball back into the box.

Donaldson shot weakly at Allsop in response, but Orient’s last four games have ended in 1-0 scorelines and this was no different as Russell Slade’s men hung on to make sure they have been on the right end of two of them.

Leyton Orient: Allsop; McSweeney, Clarke, Chorley, Sawyer; Cox, Griffith, Rowlands (Smith 85), Cook (Odubajo 75); Lisbie, Symes (Brunt 61)

Subs: Baudry, Laird, Grainger (GK), Mooney

Goal: Brunt 75

Booked: Cook, McSweeney

Brentford: Moore; Logan, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Forshaw (Adeyemi 74), Douglas, Diagouraga, Forrester (Saunders 80); Hayes (El Alagui 80), Donaldson

Subs: O’Connor, Barron, Gounet (GK), Legge

Booked: Craig

Referee: Phil Dowd

Attendance: 3,333 (508 away)