REPORT: O's Safely Through In JPT

access_time 9 years ago

Leyton Orient 1 – 0 Barnet

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Southern Section Round Two

MOSES ODUBAJO made the most of his starting chance by firing the O’s into the last 16 of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy on Tuesday night.

O’s youngster Odubajo was making just his third start of the season and he responded by making his way forward from right back to slot home the only goal of the game to send League 2 Barnet crashing out.

His finish was a cool one as Russell Slade took the opportunity to look at a number of his fringe players in the competition for League 1 and 2 clubs.

Missing the suspended Ben Chorley and the injured Kevin Lisbie, Orient made five changes to the side that lost to Sheffield United at the weekend as they looked to get back to winning ways.

The Bees had the first half chance of the game when the lively Ricky Holmes fired in a low cross from the left that evaded everyone in the middle and went out for a throw in on the opposite flank.

Jake Hyde then sent a free kick harmlessly over the top, but Orient soon settled and began to work their way into the contest.

David Mooney was off target with a low shot from 20 yards and Lloyd James was wayward from similar range, but with 25 minutes on the clock, Odubajo showed greater accuracy to stroke the hosts in front.

Jimmy Smith got the move going, breaking the defensive line to collect a ball inside the Bees box with his back to goal and feed Dean Cox in the left channel. His low cross missed the men in the centre, but Odubajo was up from right back to lurk at the far post, and he knocked the ball back across keeper Graham Stack to find the opposite corner with precision.

Orient had the ball in the net again seven minutes later when Mooney hooked home, but a flag was raised for offside so the Irishman’s strike didn’t count.

At the other end an inviting looking free kick delivery from Mark Byrne just missed Clovis Kamdjo and zipped into Ryan Allsop’s arms, but Orient were generally in control and had their goal to show for it.

Two minutes after the restart Barnet’s Andy Yiadom threatened to take that control away when he advanced inside the O’s box, but his eventual shot was directed too close to Allsop, who dropped down to his right to stop.

At the other end, the O’s produced a decent move which ended with Dean Cox crossing invitingly from the left, but Mooney couldn’t quite reach it with his slide and the Bees survived.

Odubajo was looking threatening whenever he was given the opportunity to run with the ball and he had Barnet retreating again on the hour when he carried the ball from halfway to the edge of the box, but the shot couldn’t match the run and the ball flew over the top.

Five minutes later Dean Cox volleyed wide of the mark from the edge of the box, and that proved to be his last involvement as Orient introduced Leon McSweeney and youngster Affy Obafemi from the bench.

Byrne had a shot blocked for the Bees and Michael Symes couldn’t connect with a Griffith cross firmly enough, but there was no addition to the scoresheet as Orient secured their progression to the area quarter finals.

Leyton Orient: Allsop; Odubajo, Clarke, Baudry, Saywer; Smith, Griffith, James (Laird 83), Cox (McSweeney 65); Symes, Mooney (Obafemi 65)

Subs: Lee, Vanderhyde

Goal: Odubajo 25

Booked: Symes

Barnet: Stack; Fuller (Nurse 70), Pearce, Stephens, Brown (Saville 90); Kamdjo, Yiadom; Lowe (Edgar 76), Byrne, Holmes; Hyde

Subs: Cowler (GK), Oster

Referee: Roger East

Attendance: 1,404 (230 away)