REPORT: No Joy For O's Against U's

access_time 9 years ago

Leyton Orient 0 – 2 Colchester United

npower League 1

ORIENT’S struggles in front of goal continued as a 2-0 defeat to Colchester United on Tuesday left them with just one strike from their last five League games.

The U’s took the points from Brisbane Road with a goal either side of the break as Anthony Wordsworth and Ian Henderson found the net without response.

Orient should have been given a route back into the contest in the closing stages when Scott Wagstaff was wrongly flagged offside when tucking home a rebound from Moses Odubajo.

But they didn’t get the rub of the green with that decision and the O’s were unable to find a way through.

In truth, Colchester deserved the points for a lively display full of confidence in possession and Orient couldn’t match their fluidity in attack.

The early exchanges were open and entertaining with both teams looking for the breakthrough.

With 17 minutes on the clock, Ryan Brunt fired over on the stretch after Odubajo laid back for Dean Cox to cross from the right.

Then Scott Wagstaff was slipped in down the left channel, and he cut onto his right foot before drawing a flying save from U’s keeper Mark Cousins.

Colchester were winning plenty of ball in midfield and feeding it into their front three, but genuine chances weren’t so forthcoming as the O’s defence stood firm.

For the O’s, Wagstaff shot straight at Cousins from 20 yards after Brunt flicked a Ryan Allsop goal kick into his path.

With 33 minutes on the clock, the U’s made their possession count when Gavin Massey crossed low from the left and Wordsworth swept a fine left footed shot into the bottom right corner of Allsop’s goal.

Just before the interval Craig Eastmond sidefooted just wide of the far post from range and it already looked like a long way back for the hosts.

Their route back looked even more hazardous just six minutes after the interval as Eastmond was afforded far too much space on the edge of the box to fire in a low shot.

Allsop was only able to parry and Henderson reacted to bundle the ball home.

The O’s brought on David Mooney and Lee Cook as they looked for a response and they did have an impact as the O’s began to look more dangerous late on.

16 minutes from time they thought they had scored when Cousins spilled a low Odubajo drive and Wagstaff was on hand to knock home.

The linesman’s flag was raised for offside, although replays subsequently showed that the goal should have stood.

Jabo Ibehre fired wide for the U’s five minutes from time, while Mooney missed an excellent headed chance in injury time, but there were no further goals as Orient fell to defeat.

Leyton Orient: Allsop; McSweeney, Clarke, Chorley, Sawyer; Odubajo, Smith, Rowlands, Cox (Cook 61); Wagstaff, Brunt (Mooney 81)

Subs: Jones (GK), Baudry, Griffith, Symes, James

Booked: Odubajo, Chorley

Colchester: Cousins; Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Rose; Wordsworth, Eastmond (O’Toole 80), Bean (Duguid 84); Henderson, Ibehre, Massey (Sears 75)

Subs: Nkumu, White, Wright, Pentney (GK)

Goals: Wordsworth 33, Henderson 51

Booked: Rose, Wordsworth, Wilson

Referee: Dean Whitestone

Attendance: 3,378 (627 away)