Match Report : 10/11/2012

access_time 9 years ago

Leyton Orient 2 – 1 Shrewsbury Town

npower League 1

KEVIN LISBIE returned from injury to end Orient’s goal drought with a double in Saturday’s 2-1 win over Shrewsbury Town at Brisbane Road.

The O’s had gone four games without scoring going into their meeting with the Shrews, but Lisbie’s first half penalty put an end to that run.

It still looked as though the O’s efforts wouldn’t be enough to claim all three points when Jon Taylor hit back in the second period.

But the Londoners came again and Lisbie popped up with the winner two minutes from time to give Russell Slade’s men a much-needed boost.

Lisbie was back in the starting line-up for the first time since suffering a hamstring injury in early October and the O’s made a fast start as they set about their task.

In the very first minute Moses Odubajo made inroads down the right flank and passed back for Martin Rowlands to cross. Jimmy Smith met it on the stretch and diverted the ball onto the outside of the far post as Shrewsbury survived their early scare.

Then shortly afterwards Lisbie found space inside the area, and although his effort was smothered by Shrews keeper Chris Weale, the ball popped back out to Jimmy Smith, whose shot was tipped over the top by Weale.

Shrewsbury then came into the contest and created three good chances to take the lead themselves.

Firstly Luke Rodgers rolled a shot wide of the mark after being fed through inside the O’s area, then Taylor had his effort saved after Rodgers sent him through on goal.

Marvin Morgan hooked over from the resulting corner and Shrewsbury were made to regret those midded opportunities when Orient took the lead from the penalty spot on 33 minutes.

A foul on Moses Odubajo by Jérémy Helan paved the way for the goal, which Lisbie took responsiblity for, rolling his penalty to the left and seeing it hit the net after Weale dived the wrong way.

Orient’s goal seemed to give them confidence when the teams re-emerged for the second period and David Mooney flashed a header wide of the mark from a Lee Cook cross on 58.

But Shrewsbury levelled with 70 minutes played and suddenly the O’s were back to square one.

The goal came from a quick break which ended with Taylor taking the ball forward in the left channel and drilling a fine left footed drive across Allsop and into the far corner.

If the O’s were rattled they didn’t show it and Weale twice denied them a second in quick succession, tipping a stinging Ryan Brunt effort over the top then diverting a Lisbie effort wide after he created space for himself on the edge of the area.

With two minutes to play the decisive moment came as Orient won a corner down the right and Dean Cox delivered for Lisbie to head home from close range.

The sense of relief around Brisbane Road was palpable as Orient leapt up to 16th in the table.

Leyton Orient: Allsop; Odubajo, Clarke, Chorley, Saywe; Rowlands; Smith (Cox 79), James, Cook (Wagstaff 84); Lisbie, Mooney (Brunt 69)

Subs: Jones (GK), McSweeney, Baudry, Griffith

Goals: Lisbie pen 33, Lisbie 88

Booked: Cook

Shrewsbury: Weale; Grandison, Jones, Bennett, Purdie; Taylor, Summerfield, Richards, Hélan (Parry 68); Morgan, Rodgers

Subs: Wright, Hall, Collins, Wildig, Anyon (GK), Proctor

Goal: Taylor 70

Booked: Taylor

Referee: Carl Berry

Attendance: 3,822 (425 away)