REPORT: Two Late Goals Win It For O's

access_time 9 years ago

Gloucester City 0 – 2 Leyton Orient

FA Cup with Budweiser Round One

ORIENT left it late but secured their place in the second round of the FA Cup with two goals in the final three minutes at Gloucester City on Wednesday night.

The Blue Square Bet North side looked set to take the O’s back to Brisbane Road for a replay, but the Londoners broke their hearts with their late blast.

David Mooney finally made the difference with a well taken header before Dean Cox wrapped it up immediately afterwards.

It was hard work for the O’s, but the scoreline was what they wanted in the end as they set up a tie at Alfreton Town.

Gloucester got off to a storming start and were desperately close to taking a second minute lead when a corner came in from the left and Darren Edwards scrambled the ball goalwards, but Gary Sawyer cleared off the line

Three minutes later Lloyd James’ square ball on halfway was intercepted and Jack Harris made his way towards the O’s box, but dragged his effort wide from 20 yards.

Gloucester had started the game at a real pace, but the O’s gradually began to draw their sting and get a handle on the contest.

With 20 minutes on the clock a Cox corner from the left wasn’t dealt with convincingly by the home side, and Ryan Brunt’s shot was blocked clear to safety.

Then the same player shot just wide of the left hand post after another Cox delivery was met with an ambitious hooked volley from Mooney that eventually fell to his strike partner.

Orient’s best spell of the opening period came in the final five minutes of it as they got on the ball and set about Gloucester with patience.

Three minutes before half time an excellent move ended with Anthony Griffith flicking through to Cox, whose shot was bound for the bottom right corner until Mike Green turned it around the post.

Shortly afterwards Brunt forced a header against the post under pressure, then Mooney almost found the route to goal with a quickly taken lob from 25 yards that Green did well to get back to and claw over the top.

Quarter of an hour into the second period Orient brought Kevin Lisbie off the bench, but the early stages after the restart lacked the intensity of the end of the first 45.

Chances weren’t forthcoming at either end and as the game entered its final 20 minutes it was still scoreless.

But just as Gloucester thought they had secured a replay, Orient notched two late goals to secure their place in the second round.

First Mooney was on hand to net his first goal of the season, flashing a header beyond Green in the Gloucester goal after Lloyd James nicked the ball in the right hand channel and crossed for the Irishman to add the decisive touch.

Then, straight from the kick off, the O’s took the ball back off their hosts and Cox streaked clear to slide beyond the exposed Green.

Mooney even had a chance to add a third in stoppage time, but the job had been done with the visitors happy to get through at the first time of asking.

Gloucester; Green; Green, Hamblin, Coupe, Holland, Hogg; Goddard, Webb, Harris (Tillson 89); Edwards (Davies 59), Harding (Morford 54)

Subs: Liddiard, Rawlings, Mann, Mustoe

Booked: Hogg

Leyton Orient: Allsop; Odubajo (McSweeney 57), Clarke, Baudry, Sawyer; Smith (Rowlands 86), James, Griffith, Cox; Mooney, Brunt (Lisbie 60)

Subs: Jones (GK), Chorley, Symes, Cook

Goals: Mooney 87, Cox 88

Referee: Steve Rushton

Attendance: 1,381 (163 away)