REPORT: Rampant O's Roar To Victory

access_time 9 years ago

Carlisle United 1 – 4 Leyton Orient

npower League 1

A DEVASTATING four-goal blast from the O’s before the break took them to a memorable victory  from their longest journey of the season on Saturday.

Carlisle United had no answer to the O’s as they roared into a three-goal advantage by half time and never looked like letting it go.

David Mooney, having netted his first of the season in midweek, wasted little time in trebling his tally, scoring the first and fourth goals to bookend a perfect 45 minutes.

The hosts were briefly level after Mooney’s opener thanks to Peter Murphy, but further strikes from Ben Chorley and Lee Cook restored order.

On this evidence it was hard to believe that Orient have found goals hard to come by in recent weeks, but their return to form brought with it a third straight win and reward for their travelling band of 113 fans.

The teams exchanged half chances inside the first 10 minutes, Kevin Lisbie failing to get the connection he wanted when left alone in space to meet a dangerous Cook cross, then the home side’s Liam Noble heading at Ryan Allsop following a Frank Simek Cross.

And just as they exchanged those chances, the sides traded goals around the midpoint of the opening period.

Orient were first to strike on 17 minutes, Mooney tapping home at the second attempt after his glancing header from a Dean Cox right wing delivery bounced back to him off the post.

Seven minutes later the Cumbrians were level when Martin Rowlands conceded a free kick 35 yards from goal. John Paul McGovern sent the dead ball towards a nasty area where Allsop couldn’t quite get to, and Murphy was there at the back post to nod into the net.

The home side’s joy was only to last a couple of minutes though as Orient won a corner down the right for Cox to deliver.

Carlisle couldn’t clear and the ball dropped for Chorley to hook home in the scramble and quickly restore the O’s lead.

Then with 32 minutes on the clock they were so close to extending the advantage when Rowlands’ mazy run was ended illegally on the edge of the box and Cook’s clipped free kick slipped only just wide of the right hand post.

The former QPR man couldn’t miss five minutes later though as the visitors scored a deserved third.

Lisbie laid the goal on a plate for Cook, running onto Cox’s pass in the right channel and nicking the ball past Murphy before picking the perfect moment to pass square for Cook’s tap in.

Cox was only inches away from a fourth shortly afterwards when he caught a volley sweetly but just couldn’t get enough dip on it as the ball flashed over the bar.

But there was no mercy for the home side as Orient did make it 4-1 before the break as Lisbie stole the ball off a defender and fed Mooney clear to finish confidently past the exposed Collin and provoke angry boos from the home side.

Carlisle made their three changes at the break and James Berrett sent a shot inches wide of the mark from 20 yards after Joe Garner chested down inside the box.

Orient would not have wanted to give Carlisle the merest of sniffs and they were so close to ensuring that 11 minutes after the restart when Mooney was only denied his hat trick by the crossbar as his left footed volley from 25 yards rattled against the woodwork.

The hosts responded with a better spell in which sub Mark Beck twice went close at the far post.

Anthony Griffith came off the bench to add a little more bite to the O’s midfield and Carlisle’s brief resurgence was over before it had barely begun.

Indeed, the game entered its quietest period as Orient, with the game won, were able to comfortably see the rest of the contest out.

Carlisle United: Collin; Simek, Edwards, Murphy, Chantler; Potts, Berrett, Noble; McGovern (Robson 46), Garner, Higginbotham (Symington 46)

Subs: Welsh, Todd, Gillespie (GK), McGinty

Goal: Murphy 24

Leyton Orient: Allsop; Odubajo, Clarke, Chorley, Sawyer; Cox (Smith 83), James (Griffith 65), Rowlands, Cook; Lisbie (Symes 76), Mooney

Subs: Jones (GK), McSweeney, Baudry, Brunt

Goals: Mooney 17, Chorley 26, Cook 37, Mooney 44

Booked: Cox

Referee: Tony Harrington

Attendance: 3,964 (113 away)