REPORT: High 5 For O's With Preston Win

access_time 9 years ago

Leyton Orient 2 – 0 Preston North End

npower League 1

MATHIEU BAUDRY and Kevin Lisbie scored either side of the break to give Orient a fifth straight win on Saturday.

The O’s duo struck to see off a Preston North End side who had come to London on the back of a six-game unbeaten run.

In wet conditions at Brisbane Road, Orient battled hard for the points and had to hold off a late Preston surge, in which Akpo Sodje hit the post.

But Graham Westley’s men couldn’t find a way through a resilient O’s backline and another victory was the result for the home side.

The game started in an even fashion, although Preston’s on-loan Chelsea man Todd Kane was a lively presence down the right and he had a chance to open the scoring on nine minutes.

Lee Holmes was the architect, threading a neat through ball to Kane, whose shot from an angle needed a good block from Ryan Allsop.

With 28 minutes on the clock David Mooney had the ball in the net for the O’s, but his effort was ruled out as Ben Chorley had strayed into an offside position to flick Lee Cook’s free kick on.

At the other end Kane sliced a shot wide of the near post after Preston worked the ball across the box from left to right and it looked as though the interval would come with the scoresheet blank.

But two minutes before the break the O’s landed a blow when a right wing corner was only cleared back to Dean Cox, and he fired in a cross which Baudry met with a perfectly placed header into the bottom left hand corner.

It was the perfect time to score and good reward for the Frenchman, making the most of his chance in the team after Nathan Clarke’s ankle injury.

The O’s built on their advantage after the break, making it 2-0 with 61 minutes on the clock.

In Lisbie the Londoners have a striker in hot form, and he made it five goals in as many games with a cool left footed finish after Mooney sprung the offside trap to advance in to the area for Lisbie to take over.

Preston responded strongly to the O’s moving two in front and Russell Slade’s men had to be on their guard to keep hold of their position of relative comfort.

Allsop tipped a 20-yarder from Lee Holmes around the post on 73 minutes, while Sodje flicked a header narrowly wide, but it was a two-minute spell late on that caused the most drama.

After Sodje sent a header against the inside of the right hand post and right across goal, Anthony Elding and John Welsh both had efforts cleared off the line.

Then, immediately afterwards Allsop did brilliantly to claw away a looping header from Graham Cummins as the ball just wouldn’t go in for the visitors.

With that Preston’s sting had been drawn and Orient saw out the eight minutes of stoppage time to make sure of the points.

Leyton Orient: Allsop; Odubajo, Baudry, Chorley, Saywer; Cox, James, Rowlands, Cook (Griffith 72); Lisbie, Mooney (Brunt 86)

Subs: Jones (GK), McSweeney, Cuthbert, J Smith, A Smith

Goals: Baudry 43, Lisbie 61

Booked: Sawyer

Preston: Simonsen; Wright (Cummins 58), Huntington, Robertson, Buchanan; Kane, Welsh, Wroe, Holmes; King (Sodje 68), Beavon (Elding 80)

Subs: Stuckmann (GK), Cansdell-Sherriff, Amoo, Byrom

Booked: Beavon, Huntington, Robertson

Referee: Andy Davies

Attendance: 4,190 (845 away)