Match Report : 05/12/2012

access_time 9 years ago

Northampton Town 0 – 3 Leyton Orient

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Southern Section Quarter Final

THREE second half goals sent Orient through to the area semi-finals of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy at Northampton Town on Wednesday night.

The O’s came alive after a quiet first half to sweep the Cobblers aside with ruthless efficiency after the interval.

David Mooney continued his hot streak with a quickfire double, while Michael Symes completed the scoring with a 73rd minute penalty.

It all added up to a seventh consecutive win for the O’s, achieved after rotating the team with six changes from the XI at Alfreton, as the Londoners moved to within three games of a potential Wembley date.

On a freezing night at the Sixfields Stadium, there wasn’t much to warm the 1,762 hardy souls in attendance before the break.

Aside from a booking for a rash tackle by Leon McSweeney on Ishmel Demontagnac, the only other incidents of note were a couple of chances for the Cobblers towards the end of the half.

With 41 minutes played Jamie Jones, making his first appearance since August in the O’s goal, sprung to his left to make a fine save from Jake Robinson, whose first time shot looked set for the top corner after Ben Tozer’s long throw was flicked on.

Then, right on half time, Jones was tempted off his line by a Northampton pass that sailed over the top of the O’s backline. He was forced to backpedal as it became clear that Northampton’s Louis Moult would latch onto it, but the home striker failed to lift his shot over Jones’ head with the keeper able to easily hang on.

12 minutes after the restart, though, Orient edged in front thanks to Mooney’s sixth goal in as many games.

The Irishman was on the spot to ram home from close range after his initial shot was blocked on the line. The chance was set up by a good cross from Dean Cox to the back post, where Moses Odubajo was lurking to knock back to Mooney.

Emyr Huws forced a save from Jamie Jones with his foot soon after, but the next time Orient moved to the other end of the park they doubled their lead.

Odubajo was at the heart of the move, driving to the by-line to devastating effect to cut back to Ryan Brunt. The O’s striker held the ball up and laid off for Lloyd James outside the box and his cross was perfect for Mooney to head home at the far post.

17 minutes from time it was 3-0 when Odubajo’s cross was blocked by Joe Widdowson’s arm as it flew into the box and the linesman immediately flagged for a penalty.

Symes stepped up to take the spot kick and calmly sent keeper Lee Nicholls the wrong way with a shot into the bottom right corner.

Jones made an acrobatic save from an Adebayo Akinfenwa header, but there was no way back for the Cobblers as the O’s were able to easily see out time for the win.

Northampton: Nicholls; East, Langmead, Tozer, Widdowson; Robinson (Hackett 69), Harding, Huws, Demontagnac (Mukendi 78); Moult (Akinfenwa 69), Platt

Subs: Snedker (GK), Hornby

Leyton Orient: Jones; McSweeney, Cuthbert, Baudry, Sawyer; Cox, James (A Smith 82), Griffith (J Smith 50), Odubajo; Mooney (Symes 66), Brunt

Subs: Allsop (GK), Obafemi

Goals: Mooney 57, Mooney 65, Symes pen 73

Booked: McSweeney, Griffith, Symes

Referee: Mark Haywood

Attendance: 1,752 (162 away)