REPORT: Crewe Come Back To Claim Point

access_time 9 years ago
Leyton Orient 1 – 1 Crewe Alexandra

npower League 1
ORIENT dropped points from a winning position for the first time this season on Saturday when Crewe Alexandra came back to secure a 1-1 draw at Brisbane Road.
The O’s dominated the first half, but only had Lee Cook’s 26th minute goal to show for their efforts and the visitors hit back through Byron Moore.
Crewe came more into the contest in the second period, but Orient should have made more of their early opportunities and were left feeling like they had let two points slip away.
Russell Slade’s men haven’t really done draws this season, but both League games against the Railwaymen have now ended all square.
Charlie MacDonald was thrown straight in for a debut and Orient were lively from the off, with David Mooney flicking the ball past Mark Ellis in the ninth minute before bearing down on goal and drawing a save from goalkeeper Steve Phillips.
Then, with 13 minutes on the clock, only the woodwork saved the visitors when an O’s corner was only half cleared and Lloyd James headed the ball back into the box for Mooney, who sent his header against the bar.
Barely a minute later the frame of the goal came to Crewe’s rescue again after Cook’s fine diagonal ball picked out MacDonald, whose right footed effort beat Phillips but not the base of the far post.
The chances kept on coming and Cook was involved again on 23 minutes when his first time cross was flicked wide by Mooney.
Cook found himself in front of goal for the O’s next opportunity three minutes later, and he made the most of it, smashing home from close range after Phillips only just managed to claw away Cox’s looping cross.
Orient were well on top, but they were hit with a sucker punch six minutes before half time when the visitors ventured into the O’s box for the first time and dragged themselves level thanks to Moore’s finish from a Luke Murphy cross.
The second half was more end-to-end and Crewe’s Mathias Pogba crashed a volley over the top after Abdul Osman’s cross was only headed up into the air.
Orient went on the attack with 53 minutes played and MacDonald fed the ball inside to Mooney, who advanced to 22 yards out and forced Phillips to tip over with his shot.
Crewe’s best spell came with around 20 minutes to go as Jamie Jones had to dive to his left to tip Ellis’ header around the post.
The O’s keeper was involved again a minute later to gather Moore’s shot after a neat move had given him a shooting chance 16 yards out.
Orient then came again and Phillips had to scamper across his goal to push Cook’s free kick behind following a foul on Cox by Adam Dugdale five yards outside the box.
Mooney was the closest man to winning it from the resulting corner as he met Cox’s delivery with a header that looked bound for the net but Murphy cleared off the line.
Leyton Orient: Jones; Odubajo, Baudry (McSweeney 85), Cuthbert, Sawyer; Cox, James, Smith, Cook; Mooney, MacDonald (Obafemi 89)

Subs: Symes, Allsop (GK), Lobjoit, Lee
Goal: Cook 26
Booked: Cuthbert
Crewe: Phillips; Mellor, Dugdale, Ellis, Tootle; Moore, Murphy, Osman, Inman; Pogba, Clayton (Colclough 85)

Subs: Davis, Leitch-Smith, Martin (GK), Robertson, Aneke
Goal: Moore 39
Booked: Dugdale
Referee: Stephen Martin
Attendance: 3,755 (431 away)