Match Report : 15/01/2013

access_time 9 years ago

Leyton Orient 1 – 2 Hull City

AET. 1 – 1 at 90 minutes
FA Cup with Budweiser Round Three Replay
ORIENT suffered extra time heartbreak as their FA Cup run came to an end against Hull City at Brisbane Road on Tuesday.
The O’s were just three minutes from forcing a deserved penalty shootout against a Hull side flying high in the Championship when Tom Cairney struck to settle the tie.
It was the second time Hull had hurt the O’s late on, following on from Nick Proschwitz’s injury time leveller in the first running of this tie at the KC Stadium.
Defeat was harsh on an Orient side who had battled so gamely to take Hull to extra time after Proschwitz had struck again, this time in the first half, to put them in front.
Dean Cox equalised on 87 minutes and had Orient made more of a bright opening in which they forced the Tigers back, a Cup upset could have been on the cards.
Orient started well and had two half chances inside the first 10 minutes as Jimmy Smith had a header blocked and then Moses Odubajo’s shot from the edge of the box needed a save from Eldin Jakupovic.
At the other end Jay Simpson raced clear and threatened to give Hull the lead when he took the ball around Jamie Jones, but Odubajo tracked back well to pressurise the Hull striker and he couldn’t get his shot away.
With 21 minutes on the clock Orient had the ball in the net, but their celebrations were short-lived as a linesman’s flag was raised after David Mooney tapped home, following up a Cox shot which struck the woodwork.
Four minutes later Gary Sawyer delivered an inviting cross from the left but Smith got under the ball and could only nod over the top.
For all Orient’s probing, their defence was unlocked four minutes before the interval when Liam Rosenior fizzed a pass into the box for Proschwitz, who knocked the ball up with his knee and struck a stunning volley beyond Jones.
Having taken the lead, Hull were stifling the play better at the start of the second period and should have killed the game off on 66 minutes when Simpson made a scything run through the O’s backline, but Jones stood up well to save when the former Arsenal man only had the keeper to beat.
Six minutes later, Orient had a second goal disallowed, and this time boss Russell Slade felt it was an incorrect call as again a flag was raised against a home man following up, as Lee Cook knocked home after Jakupovic spilled an Odubajo shot.
The O’s were coming at their visitors again as time wore on and they were rewarded three minutes from time when Odubajo brought the ball down in the right channel and fed Cox, whose cross floated over Jakupovic, towards goal and in at the far post.

Taking Hull the distance was the least Orient deserved for their endeavours over the two legs, and both sides traded early long shots at the start of extra time, Jakupovic saving from Mooney, and Jones from Seyi Olofinjana.
Orient’s best chance to claim victory arrived 10 minutes from the end of the additional 30 as Odubajo hung up a cross from the right which cut out Jakupovic and looked perfect for Michael Symes to nod home, but the visiting defence put just enough pressure on him to nod over.
Hull made more use of their opportunity, Cairney side-footing a shot from 20 yards which found its way through a crowd of bodies and into the bottom corner.
It was a cruel end to the game for an O’s side who merited so much more.

Leyton Orient: Jones; Odubajo, Baudry (Cuthbert 46), Chorley, Sawyer; Cox, James, Rowlands, Cook (McSweeney 79); Smith (Symes 59), Mooney 
Subs: Allsop (GK), Lobjoit, Lee
Goal: Cox 87
Hull: Jakupovic; Chester, McShane, Bruce; Rosenior, Evans, Cainey, Quinn (Stewart 78), Dawson (Olofinjana 83); Simpson, Proschwitz 

Subs: Hobbs, Cullen, Faye, Cracknell (GK), Wilson
Goals: Proschwitz 41, Cairney 117
Booked: Dawson, Bruce
Referee: Graham Scott
Attendance: 3,601 (613 away)