REPORT: Cook Strikes Late To Claim Draw

access_time 9 years ago

Brentford 2 – 2 Leyton Orient

npower League 1

THE O’S Queens Park Rangers connection fired in west London as R’s old boys Martin Rowlands and Lee Cook both scored in a 2-2 draw at high-flying Brentford.
Rowlands gave the O’s a sixth minute lead in stunning style with a 30-yard free kick but Brentford hit back to lead at the break thanks to Paul Hayes and Clayton Donaldson.
But Jake Bidwell’s sending off reinvigorated the visitors and after David Mooney had a penalty saved, Cook rescued a point late on with a stunning curling finish.

Orient got off to a dream start and it was a Brentford old boy who riled his old fans by thundering in a wonderful free kick.
Rowlands was fully 30 yards out when he lined up the shot, but goalkeeper Simon Moore was left clutching at air as the ball rocketed past him and into the top right corner.
Rowlands is always guaranteed a frosty reception whenever he returns to Griffin Park, so he made the most of his wonder goal, racing right the way down the pitch to celebrate in front of the O’s fans.
However, the O’s lead was only to last until the 16th minute as the visitors failed to get a corner from the right clear, and as the ball came back into the box it dropped for Hayes to control, turn and slot home.
It had been a frantic start to the game, and Orient were looking more threatening than they did at the weekend, with Jimmy Smith flashing an 18-yard shot over the top as he attempted to finish a fine move involving David Mooney and Lee Cook.
Rowlands also fizzed a right footed shot just wide of the mark from 20 yards, but Brentford looked to have the beating of their visitors when they got crosses into the O’s box and they got a chance to deliver a corner on 39 minutes when Jamie Jones had to touch over a fierce Sam Saunders free kick.
Saunders sent the corner over and Jones appeared to get blocked off as he tried to meet it, giving Donaldson a simple finish from close in. 
The O’s keeper was furious, but referee Paul Tierney was unmoved, awarding the goal and giving the O’s keeper a yellow card for his protests.
Moore had to make a good save to prevent Mooney’s flick from a Cook free kick from finding the net, while Tony Craig had a great chance when he nodded another Saunders corner over the top, but 2-1 Brentford was the intervai score.
Jones had to equal Moore’s stop at the start of the second period, diving to his right to turn Donaldson’s shot around the post after the Bees striker got in behind the O’s defence to control a lofted pass and fire at goal.
Just before the hour Orient’s challenge received a boost when Bidwell, booked not long before half time for a foul on Mooney, received a second booking for dragging back Jimmy Smith as he got away from him down the right. 
Orient had a golden chance to level 18 minutes from time when Charlie MacDonald was clipped in the box by Lee Hodson, with referee Tierney pointing to the spot.
Mooney stepped up, but Moore was equal to the task, diving to his left to deny the Irishman and frustrate the O’s.
Ex-Brentford striker MacDonald was next to go close when Cook provided another cross from the left, but he couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and Moore closed the space to save with his feet.
Orient weren’t to be denied though and the leveller came three minutes from the end when Cook had the space to shoot from outside the box and he made no mistake, curling beyond Moore and into the far corner.

Brentford: Moore; Hodson, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Forshaw, Adeyemi (Barron 62), Douglas, Saunders (Diagouraga 75); Donaldson, Hayes (Logan 68)

Subs: Lee (GK), Trotta, Forrester, Kiernan
Goals: Hayes 16, Donaldson 39
Booked: Bidwell
Sent off: Bidwell
Leyton Orient: Jones; Odubajo, Baudry, Chorley, Saywer; Smith, Rowlands, James (Omozusi), Cook; MacDonald (Obafemi 79), Mooney

Subs: Griffith, Symes, Grainger (GK), Lee, Vanderhyde
Goals: Rowlands 6, Cook 87
Booked: Jones
Referee: Paul Tierney