Kickoff: 27/11 15:00
English Football League - League Two
Northampton Town
REPORT: Welling Utd 1-4 Orient
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient

REPORT: Welling Utd 1-4 Orient

access_time 8 years ago

First half XI: Jones; Omozusi, Cuthbert, Clarke, Lee; Odubajo, Vincelot, Michael Clarkson (trialist), Cox; Mooney, Batt

Two goals from David Mooney and one apiece from Shaun Batt and Dean Cox were enough to give Orient their second win of pre-season against Conference side Welling United.
Loick Pires pulled one back for the home side against his former club after the restart but a young O’s side in the second period did enough to hold on for another win.  

The O’s were faced with another warm summer evening and dry pitch as they travelled to South East London to take on Conference side Welling United. 
The home side were fresh from their promotion to the top tier of the non-league pyramid as Russell Slade fielded strong side in the first half though a couple of first team players were left out as a precautionary measure. 
The O’s started well and soon had the lead when Cox found space on the right and picked out Mooney who thumped home a header for his first of pre-season with four minutes gone. 
Slade’s side looked comfortable and almost went further ahead with 10 minutes gone when Batt picked the ball up from deep and carried it 40 yards before his shot was deflected over. A minute later and Batt went close again after he was put through by Cox and his shot beat the keeper but Hudson tracked back to clear off the line. 
Orient looked sharper than their opponents and with 16 minutes gone, Romain Vincelot robbed the ball in midfield and found Batt who unselfishly slipped it to Mooney in the channel who finished coolly from just inside the box. 
The home side almost found a way back into it eight minutes later when the ball was half-cleared to Fraser Franks who hit it on the half-volley just over the bar from 20 yards. 
Just before the half hour it was 3-0 as Cox scored with the best of the bunch so far. Vincelot played it sharply into the feet of Batt who flicked it to Cox with a majestic back-heel and the winger was only too happy to dink it over the keeper. 
The O’s were running riot and almost straight from the kick-off Batt finally grabbed his goal as he lobbed the sub keeper Vernon following a lofted ball from Harry Lee into the left channel. 
Slade’s side were very comfortable but on the stroke of half-time former O’s forward Loick Pires almost scored against his former side as he cut in from the left and fired a shot that narrowly missed Jones’ post. 
Second half Orient XI: Larkins; Lee, Cuthbert (Alex Finney  – 63′), Clarke (Joe Kiszzy – trialist 53′), Vanderhyde; Cox (Alex Addai – trialist 56′),  Clarkson (Georgiou – 63′), Sherratt, Odubajo (Uzun – 63′);  Lisbie, Mooney (Chris Gaddi – trialist 56′)
The tempo dropped for the start of the second half and the home side got their goal. Orient switched off down the Welling right and allowed a cross to be flashed across the six-yard box where Pires was lurking to turn it in from close range.
Welling were certainly more competitive as the O’s lost their flow a little as a combination of trialists and youth team players entered the fray though Slade would have been pleased for several of his first team players to get an hour of football under their belts. 
It was Kevin Lisbie – wearing the captain’s armband – who had the next chance to put the O’s further ahead when he charged down a clearance from the keeper Vernon but Hudson again foiled Orient as he scrambled Lisbie’s shot off the line.