Match Report : 22/10/2013

access_time 8 years ago
Leyton Orient tasted defeat for the first time this season as Coventry City made it third time lucky against the O’s at Sixfields Stadium. A super early goal from Carl Baker set the tone as the O’s struggled to get a foothold in the first half, before strikes from Frank Moussa and Leon Clarke killed the tie in the second period.
One positive was that Orient continued to press despite being beaten and they were rewarded with a consolation goal as Yohann Lasimant bagged his first goal in English football late on, whilst the result could have been different had David Mooney not missed a second half penalty for Russell Slade’s side. 
The O’s came into the clash with Coventry without top scorer Kevin Lisbie, who sat out the match after picking up an injury during Saturday’s 4-0 victory over Tranmere.  New arrival Frankie Sutherland was on the bench following his loan move this week from QPR.
Orient started the game brightly, applying all the early pressure, resulting in consecutive corners for the visitors.  But after the early pressure the game opened up into an even affair.
The deadlock was broken in the tenth minute as Carl Baker was given the freedom of the right flank. The winger purposely strode towards the Orient box before cutting inside to strike from 20 yards past a helpless Jones in goal. 
Following Coventry’s goal, the O’s began to up their pressure, looking to quickly restore parity. They continued to threaten from set plays and Scott Cuthbert fired a header in from a corner, but it was easily collected by Murphy
The conditions began to worsen as the ball began to zip along the surface as the thunder and lightning rumbled around the midlands.
As the conditions began to deteriorate, Coventry continued to come forward as Jones kept the O’s in it at times with a couple of fine saves to deny Callum Wilson. 
Orient started to take a foothold in the game, and a break down the right saw Cox feed Odubajo, but his cross was over hit and Mooney at full stretch failed to reach it.
Russell Slade would have welcomed the interval as it provide a welcome break from the conditions and a chance to regroup. 
The home side started the second half brightly, looking to instantly increase their lead. Jamie Jones had to make two strong saves to keep the Sky Blues at bay, as Orient were late to switch on after the restart.
But the O’s were soon gifted a golden opportunity to get back on level terms when they were awarded a penalty after Shaun Batt was brought down after a charge into the box. Jordan Willis bundled over the Orient striker as the goal looked to have presented itself to Batt. Mooney stepped up but was denied by Murphy as the goalkeeper dived to his right to keep out the spot kick.
On 66 minutes Coventry increased their lead with an inventive effort from Franck Moussa. The Belgian ran into the Orient box and managed to lift the ball over Jones on the angle.
Shortly after conceding the second Jayden Stockley was introduced for Shaun Batt as Russell Slade looked to change this up in attack and get back into the tie as quickly as possible.
As the half went on the O’s began to look dangerous in attack, but it was Coventry who scored the game’s third goal, effectively killing the tie. A free kick from the impressive Baker was lifted into the box and Leon Clarke rose highest to nod home.
With the final whistle looming, Orient tried to give the travelling fans something to cheer about. A looping Odubajo cross drifted out the left and Dean Cox meet it with a sweet strike but it flew past Coventry’s far upright.
The away contingent finally had reason to cheer in the dying moments as a lofted ball into box from  substitute Gary Sawyer saw Murphy fail to deal with pressure from Cuthbert and the ball dropped to Lasimant who scored his first goal for the club.
Coventry: Murphy (GK), Adams, Webster, Thomas, Fleck, Baker © (Garner 86), L Clarke, Moussa (Barton 81), Willis, Wilson (Manset 90), J Clarke 
Subs: Burge (GK), Phillips, Haynes, Rankin
Yellows: Moussa 61, Fleck 90+4
Goals: Baker 10, Moussa 67, Clarke 76
Orient: (GK) Jones, Omozusi (Sawyer 81), Vincelot, Cuthbert, Baudry, Cox, James, Mooney (Lasimant 74), Odubajo, Batt (Stockley 68), Clarke ©
Subs: Larkins (GK), Gorman, Bartley, Sutherland
Goal: Lasimant 90 
Yellows: Vincelot 27, Clarke 64
Referee: D Webb
Att. 2368 (758 away)