Kickoff: 30/11 19:00
Papa John's Trophy
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
MK Dons
MK Dons

REPORT: Yeovil 4-0 Orient

access_time 8 years ago
It will be a case of all eyes on the promotion push now as an understrength Orient side were beaten by Championship Yeovil Town at Huish Park in the FA Cup. 
Two goals from James Hayter and a tidy finish from Joel Grant were enough to put the game to bed for the Glovers before Kieffer Moore added insult to injury for the O’s in stoppage time who suffered from an inability to turn possession into chances with a makeshift attacking line-up. 
Russell Slade was again forced into making changes as injuries continuing to plague his small squad, though he relieved some of the pressure on his group with the acquisitions of Jamie Ness from Stoke and Shaquile Coulthirst from Spurs yesterday.
Both went straight into the squad as Ness took his place in a five man midfield with Mathieu Baudry sitting in front of the back four whilst Coulthirst joined Kevin Lisbie on the subs bench as Yohann Lasimant led the line for the O’s.
Gary Sawyer returned to the starting line-up in defence, as did Scott Cuthbert who served a one game suspension at Wolves.
The ground staff and volunteers had worked day and night to get the game on at Huish Park and though it remained soggy under-foot, there was no rain in the air as the game got underway. 
It was the new man Ness who was involved in Orient’s early good work as he twice created openings  in the opening five minutes, with Dean Cox having the better of the two opportunities when the Scotsman found him in the channel though he failed to force Marek Stech into action.
Meanwhile Jake Larkins in the Orient goal was the first of the two ‘keepers called into action when he dived at the feet of Joel Grant to smother out some early danger.
Orient looked the sharper of the two sides but it was the home side that grabbed the lead. Luke Ayling hit a long free-kick into the Orient box that Larkins came to claim but failed to get enough on and the ball bounced kindly for James Hayter to nod into the empty net. 
The home side only really looked a threat from set-plays as Orient continued to dictate the majority of the play in midfield with Ness showing some classy touches, Dean Cox exploding into action when in possession and Baudry breaking up the play, complete with a bandage to his head after getting a cut in an aerial battle. 
Despite that, Orient found chances hard to come-by as though as Lasimant toiled up front though came unstuck against the physicality at times of Byron Webster in the Yeovil back four. 
Yeovil almost doubled their lead after the half hour mark when Hayter burst through the left channel with a touch of fortune on the way before dragging his shot wide of the post. 
It was the home side that headed into the break with the lead though perhaps 0-0 would have been a fairer reflection as neither goalkeeper was particularly busy in the opening 45 minutes. 
Orient started the second half brightly as Lasimant went inches away from making it 1-1 when he hit a rocket on the half-volley that crashed into the side netting but almost immediately Yeovil doubled their lead.
Liam Davis sent a tantalising deep cross in from the left and Joel Grant got ahead of his man to slide in and turn the ball home. 
The game opened up in the aftermath of the second but it was the home side who put the game to bed on the hour mark when Hayter grabbed his second when he leapt to head home a cross from the right from Kevin Dawson.
Ness almost gave Orient a lifeline a minute later when he bent a shot just wide before Dean Cox made way for Coulthirst to make his debut.  
The third goal near enough killed the tie as a spectacle though still Orient huffed and puffed yet as had been their trouble for much of the game, they failed to turn possession into chances as Stech remained a spectator for long periods. 
He was however called into action in the last 10 minutes when Odubajo galloped free and fed Coulthirst in the right channel who hit a low drive that the former O’s keeper saved well with his feet. 
It was a youthful Orient side that ended the game as Johnny Gorman and Harry Lee entered the action with the latter having a couple of late efforts just wide but it was not to be as Kieffer Moore beat the offside trap in the last minute to stroke past Larkins. 
YEOVIL: Stech, Ayling, Edwards, Webster (C) (Upson 50), Dawson, Hayter (Moore 82), Foley (Morgan 72), Duffy, Davis, Grant, Lundstram
SUBS NOT USED: Dunn, McAllister, Jones, Twumasi
GOALS: Hayter (12, 60) Grant (49) Moore (90)
BOOKINGS: Davis (74)
ORIENT: Larkins, Omozusi, Sawyer, Cuthbert, Baudry (Lee 80), Cox (Coulthirst 61), James (Gorman 70), Odubajo, Clarke, Lasimant, Ness
SUBS NOT USED: Lisbie, Finney, Ling, Grainger
ATTENDANCE: 3,667 (325)