U18s REPORT: Orient 0-3 Stevenage

access_time 7 years ago
Leyton Orient U18s suffered their first League defeat in three matches as they lost 3-0 at home to Stevenage.
On the back of last week’s win against Peterborough, Andy Edwards made only one change to his starting line up as Jack Humphrey replaced the injured Aron Pollock in defence. 
The O’s did not get off to the start they intended however as Stevenage took the lead on the fourth minute. George Casey was allowed to cut in from the right after receiving a throw and bent a 20-yard strike beyond the dive of Sam Sargeant in the Orient goal.
Stevenage had started the tie much brighter and nearly grabbed a second eight minutes later when Casey and Dipo Akinyemi combined well, but the latter dragged his shot across goal.
The visitors were then given a chance to double their lead on the 18th minute when O’s defender Michael Clark was adjudged to have fouled Louis Yamfam inside the box and a penalty was awarded. Despite several Orient players being unhappy with the decision Stevenage captain Dale Gorman drilled home the penalty to extend their lead.
Sargeant was the far busier of the two goalkeepers in the opening stages and ensured the O’s did not fall even further behind when Yamfam raced through one-on-one by touching the ball round the post for a corner.
Orient’s first half was then made even worse on the half hour mark as captain Freddy Moncur pulled up with a groin problem and had to be replaced by Victor Adeboyejo who joined Shola Oladipo in attack.
Moments later Sargeant was forced into making another fine save as he tipped Akinyemi’s shot from distance over the bar before the teams went into the break with Orient having it all to do in the second half.
Following the break, Edwards decided to make two changes as Christian Owusu and Josh Koroma replaced midfielders Sam Alderson and Harry Andic.
Orient started of the second half much brighter than the first as they retained the ball better but failed to create any openings and trouble the Stevenage goal.
As the half wore on Orient continued to try and work a way back into the tie but Stevenage remained tight at the back and it was not until the 68th minute the O’s came close as Nick Brown’s free-kick whistled over the bar.
The O’s day was then compounded on the 80th minute as Stevenage nicked the ball in midfield and Akinyemi slotted the ball through to Ross Millard who tucked the ball past Sargeant.
Christian Owusu tried to salvage something in added time but there was to be no consolation for the O’s as his effort went wide of the post.
ORIENT: Sam Sargeant, Myles Judd, Michael Clark, Jack Humphrey, Kane Adams, Montel Agyemang, Nick Brown, Harry Andic (Christian Owusu 46), Freddy Moncur (C) (Victor Adeboyejo 29), Sam Alderson (Josh Koroma 46), Shola Oladipo
SUBS: Ben Bridle-Card
BOOKINGS: Humphrey (55)
STEVENAGE: Tyler Reading, Nathan Kerr, Norley Butaka, Jack Jones, Edward Jackson, Dale Gorman (C), Jack Storer, Morgan De Bruce (Zak Guerfi 74), Dipo Akinyemi, George Casey (Robbie Sweeney 80), Louis Yamfam (Ross Millard 61)
SUBS: Kavel Patel, Brandon Carney
GOALS: Casey (4), Gorman (18 pen), Millard (80)