Match Report : 17/03/2015

access_time 7 years ago

Leyton Orient ended Barnsley’s six-game running win as both sides shared the spoils in a keenly-contested midweek encounter.

The O’s created by far the better chances in the match, but found Adam Davies in good form in the Barnsley goal as he denied them on several occasions throughout the encounter, but Orient will also be thankful for their keeper as he produced a fine save to deny Conor Hourihane’s expertly-taken free-kick.

Orient were forced into two changes as Mathieu Baudry and Marvin Bartley missed out through injury, with Nathan Clarke coming back into skipper the side, while Bradley Pritchard moved into a central midfield position.

The game started at a good pace and the hosts created the first opening when Jobi McAnuff fired over from just outside the box.

Unlike Saturday’s action-packed start, this one was much quieter affair, though Orient won a corner when Barnsley’s Lewin Nyatanga ballooned an effort over his own bar and behind.

The chances were few and far between, but the O’s were the ones looking most likes to score when Darius Henderson just got his head to direct a delivery back into the box but strike partner Chris Dagnall headed over.

And Henderson was caught in two minds as use his head the ball or his foot to get on the end of a Josh Wright free-kick as another chance went begging for the O’s.

Henderson and McAnuff combined for the third goal in the win over Yeovil at the weekend and they almost combined again for the opener here as Henderson laid it off for McAnuff to fire goalwards, but his effort was tipped behind by Tykes goalkeeper Adam Davies.

The half ended goalless, and neither side made any changes at the break.

Orient against started brightly and Dagnall knocked the ball back into the path of Hedges but his effort was well saved by Davies, who was by far the busier goalkeeper.

Having said that, Cisak was called into action after 49 minutes when he did well to tip over Conor Hourihane’s fine free-kick which looked like it was curling into the top corner.

Hedges then went agonisingly close as he took one lovely touch before firing just wide of Davies’ goal as the second period was certainly livelier than the first.

As the game entered the final 20 minutes there was a lovely piece of play from the hosts and Hedges ball across for McAnuff was fed into the path of Pritchard but his effort when through on goal was expertly tipped over by Davies.

Orient won a free-kick in a dangerous situation but Dossena dragged his effort just wide.

Dean Cox was introduced with little over 10 minutes left for McAnuff, and David Mooney soon followed, however, the chances evaporated.

But the visitors were to end the game with 10 men as substitute Milan Lalkovic was shown a straight red card for a late challenge on skipper Clarke.

ORIENT: Cisak, O’Neill, Cuthbert, Clarke, Dossena, Hedges (Simpson 90+3), Pritchard, Wright, McAnuff (Cox 79), Dagnall, Henderson (Mooney 82).

SUBS: Omozusi, Sawyer, Lowry, Woods.


BOOKINGS: Wright 56’

BARNSLEY: Davies, Holgate, Cranie, Nyatanga, John, Pearson, Hourihane, Scowen, O’Sullivan (Lalkovic 70), Winall (Berry 76), Waring (Ibehre 86).

SUBS: Dibble, Smith, Hemmings, Bailey.


BOOKINGS: Hourihane 26’

SENDING OFF: Lalkovic 90′

ATTENDANCE: 4107 (577)