access_time 7 years ago

A young Leyton Orient reserves side produced a battling display as they lost 3-0 at home to Bournemouth in the Final Third Development League.

Having held the Cherries throughout the first half, the O’s were undone by three goals in the space of 15 second half minutes as Harry Cornick bagged a brace either side of a Ben Whitfield strike.

The O’s again named a youthful side as they consisted mainly of the U18s plus first team members Andis Nikolaou and Harry Lee, who captained the side.

Bournemouth started the livelier of the teams and Harry Cornick got the better of Kane Adams on the wing only to see his first effort saved by Orient goalkeeper Ben Card before Andis Nikolaou blocked his follow-up attempt on the line.

The Cherries then had another chance soon after as Josh Carmichael noticed Jon Muleba bombing forward on the wing and sprayed the ball out to the full-back. Muleba then played a low ball into the box for Jayden Stockley who fired a weak shot at Card.

Despite the visitors enjoying the better chances in the opening minutes Orient looked good when in possession, and nearly took the lead when Sandro Semedo’s ball into the box was headed goalwards by Bournemouth’s Carmichael but Ryan Allsop got down in time to parry the ball round the post.

With just over 20 minutes played the lively Cornick collected a pass midway inside the O’s half from Carmichael and drove into the box before seeing a powerful shot pushed over by Card.

As both sides continued to try and break the deadlock Orient nearly worked an opening as Scott Kashket nipped in to win possession off Muleba and raced into the box but his pull back for Freddy Moncur was just intercepted by Elliott Ward as the midfielder charged up a shot.

Moncur and Kashket then combined again moments later to worm their way inside the Bournemouth penalty area but the latter saw his shot well blocked by Cherries’ skipper Bailey Cargill.


Cornick was a continuous threat for the visitors throughout the first half and the winger broke the O’s offside trap to latch on to a Muleba through ball but could only fire an effort into the side netting.

Orient then responded by racing straight down the other end and Semedo collected a pass just outside the penalty area before curling a shot just wide of the far post.

Moments later Orient had a wonderful chance to take the lead when a Moncur pass deflected into the path of Montel Agyemang 12-yards out but the midfielder failed to keep his effort on target as it flew over the bar.

Card had pulled off a number of impressive stops during the first half but his best was yet to come as the O’s stopper produced a stunning one-handed stop to keep out Ben Whitfield’s strike before Agyemang raced back to deny Stockley a simple tap-in.

With just over five minutes of the half remaining Bournemouth then had the ball in the net through Stockley but the goal was ruled out due to Cornick being in an offside position during the build-up.


As half time loomed the visitors then had a great chance as Carmichael spun well on the edge of the box but the midfielder could only drag his shot wide, resulting in the first half ending goalless.


Following the break Orient dominated possession during the opening minutes but failed to make the most of their spell and were punished as they fell behind on the 51st minute.


Cornick again used his pace to his advantage to get away from Harry Lee on the wing and despite Agyemang intercepting his pass into the middle, the ball dropped straight back to the winger’s feet and he entered the box before placing a shot beyond Card.

Orient were then hit on the counter moments later as the Cherries attacked with Whitfield and Cornick attempted to double his tally only to blaze a left footed effort over the bar.

With just over an hour played Orient continued to enjoy a lot of the ball but were struggling to test Allsop in the Bournemouth goal before the visitors then doubled their advantage. Cornick burst into the box and pulled the ball back for Whitfield to place a shot into the bottom far corner.

Three minutes later Cornick claimed his second of the afternoon as Orient could only half clear a corner and the winger was on hand to smash home the loose ball.

That 15-minute period was to prove costly for the O’s and Kashket came closest to pulling a goal back with a stinging shot on the 85th minute but Bournemouth held on for the victory.


The O’s have two games remaining of their Final Third Development League against Gillingham (April 28, 1pm kick-off) and Peterborough (May 1, 12 noon kick-off), which will both be played at the Matchroom Stadium.

ORIENT: Card, Judd, Nikolaou, Ling (Clark 65), Adams, Moncur, Agyemang (Alderson 87), Lee (C), Semedo (Oladipo 77), Trialist, Kashket

SUBS: Owusu


BOURNEMOUTH: Allsop, Muleba, Ward, Cargill (C), Lee, Cornick (Worthington 77), MacDonald, Carmichael (Neale 77), Rylah, Whitfield (Coulibaly 69), Stockley

SUBS: O’Flaherty

GOALS: Cornick (51, 66), Whitfield (63)