Match Report : 29/09/2015

access_time 6 years ago

Leyton Orient suffered their first home defeat of the season as they fell 2-1 at home to Carlisle.

On the back of a relatively quiet first half which saw Dean Cox strike the bar from 30-yards, Orient dominated after the interval hitting the woodwork on two other occasions before falling behind to Derek Asamoah’s 62nd minute strike.

Mathieu Baudry levelled the tie instantly however with a bullet of a header two minutes later but Antony Sweeney volleyed home 17 minutes from time to seal the win for the visitors.

As Orient looked to end a run of five matches without a victory Ian Hendon stuck to the side that started at Northampton on the weekend as they lined up with a 4-1-3-2 formation which saw Jack Payne once again sit in front of the back four.

In what was a relatively slow start to the match Sammy Moore had the first chance of the night when Bradley Pritchard’s ball into the box was headed out to the midfielder who had a volley parried away by Cumbrians goalkeeper Mark Gillespie.

Alex Cisak then had to be switched on from a set-piece as Carlisle captain Danny Grainger looked to curl an effort in at the near-post but the O’s number one parried it away well.

With Paul McCallum ruled out with a knee injury Ollie Palmer continued to partner Jay Simpson in attack and the former Mansfield striker had a great opportunity to break the deadlock as he got in front of his defender to reach a Frazer Shaw cross but could only fire a tame effort towards goal.

Derek Asamoah was leading the attack for the visitors and having cut in from the left the Ghanaian drilled a low shot wide of the post from 20-yards.

With half-time looming Dean Cox nearly added to his spectacular goal from the weekend when he collected the ball from 30-yards before sweetly striking a shot that left Gillespie rooted only to bounce off the top of the bar as the half ended goalless.

Having struck the woodwork in the closing minutes of the first half Cox was to be denied by the bar two minutes after the restart as his free-kick beat the dive of Gillespie but crashed once again off the top of the crossbar.

The O’s were completely in control of the tie and Moore dragged a shot wide of the far post from the edge of the area before seconds later, the hosts were denied by the frame of the goal for the third time.

A cross from Payne took a slight deflection before Palmer glanced a header towards goal. Gillespie was completely beaten between the sticks but to the frustrations of Orient the ball came off the post before falling into the hands of the Carlisle goalkeeper.

The frustrations were to grow for the hosts just after the hour mark however as against the run of play, Carlisle took the lead.

Asamoah showed great pace to reach Gary Dicker’s pass in behind the O’s defence and managed to hold off Connor Essam before drilling a left footed shot beyond Cisak.

The lead was to last for just over a minute through, as captain Mathieu Baudry led by example to score his first goal of the season.

Having won a corner immediately from the restart the O’s skipper came up from the back to emphatically meet Cox’s delivery with an unstoppable header from six-yards to level the tie.

As the match entered the final 20 minutes Orient assistant manager Andy Hessenthaler was sent to the stands along with Carlisle manager Keith Curle, but with 17 minutes remaining Carlisle took the lead for the second time of the night.

A ball in from the left dropped to Anthony Sweeney on the penalty spot and although Essam blocked his initial effort, the midfielder made no mistake with the rebound, lashing his second attempt low and hard into the net.

Despite throwing bodies forward Orient found it tough to work any clear cut chances in the final stages but it was Blair Turgott who had a wonderful chance in added time which he could only blaze over the bar, resulting in Carlisle becoming the first visiting side to take all three points from E10 this season.

ORIENT: Cisak, Clohessy, Baudry (C), Essam, Shaw (Kashket 86), Payne, Moore (Turgott 75), Pritchard, Cox, Palmer, Simpson

SUBS: Grainger, Dunne, James, Moncur, Agyemang

GOALS: Baudry (64)

BOOKINGS: Shaw (25)

CARLISLE: Gillespie, Miller, Raynes, Gillesphey, McQueen, Grainger (C), Dicker, Joyce, Kennedy (Archibald-Henville 90+3), Sweeney (Atkinson 89), Asamoah (Gilliead 87)

SUBS: Hanford, Hery, Osei, Balanta

GOALS: Asamoah (62), Sweeney (73)


REFEREE: Charles Breakspear

ATTENDANCE: 4,408 (284)