REPORT: Orient 3-1 Notts County

access_time 6 years ago

Sammy Moore bagged his first goals for the Club as his brace helped Orient return to winning ways against Notts County.

The former AFC Wimbledon man opened the scoring with a volley on the 16th minute to give Orient the lead going into the break, but John Stead pulled the visitors level immediately after the restart.

Jay Simpson then restored the O’s lead eleven minutes from time before Moore struck a wonderful goal from 30-yards to seal the win.

On the back of a tough September Orient Head Coach Ian Hendon looked to get October off to the best possible start and made one change to the team that hosted Carlisle in midweek.

The sole change for Orient saw Hendon name Adam Chicksen in the starting XI, having secured his services on a one-month loan from Brighton on Friday, as he replaced Frazer Shaw who dropped to the bench.

Tuesday night saw the O’s suffer their first home defeat of the season and with two minutes played it was the visitors who came close as Civard Spockel headed wide from a corner.

The O’s were to quickly grow into the tie however and a superb cross from Sean Clohessy found its way towards Sammy Moore at the back post who saw a volley pushed behind by Magpies goalkeeper Scott Loach.

With the hosts winning a number of corners Connor Essam then looked to be hauled down by Thierry Audel although referee Darren England was not in agreement by waving play on.

Well in control of the tie, Orient needed to make their dominance count and with 16 minutes gone they scored for the first time during the opening 45 minutes of a home match.

Bradley Pritchard picked the ball up just outside the penalty area and produced a wonderful scooped pass over the Notts County defence, allowing Moore to beat the offside trap and open his account with a rasping volley beyond Loach.

Ten minutes later Simpson probably should have doubled the lead as Gill Swerts could only head Clohessy’s cross back across goal and into his path, but the O’s top scorer saw his diving header kept out from close range.

Simpson’s chance was to be the final clear chance of the half however as despite enjoying the majority of possession Ian Hendon’s side only had a one-goal advantage to show for their efforts.

And that was to prove costly immediately after the restart as Notts County equalised inside the opening minute.

A quick free-kick from captain Alan Smith released substitute Adam Campbell down the left who then rolled the ball across for John Stead to place a shot beyond Cisak with only 33 seconds of the half played.

Following the goal it was Notts County who looked the likelier to grab a second and Adam Campbell would have put them ahead on the hour had it not been for a superb save by the legs of Alex Cisak from point-blank range.

Blair Turgott was then introduced in place of Jack Payne and the winger had a brilliant chance to put Orient back in front with 20 minutes left to play.

Dean Cox managed to work some space down the left and deliver a great ball towards the back post for Turgott although the winger could only direct his volley over the bar.

Orient were gradually growing back into the tie as the half wore on and Ollie Palmer had a shot held by Loach from distance before the hosts regained their advantage.

A neat move down the right released Clohessy inside the penalty area and the full-back saw his low shot parried back into the path of Simpson who gratefully followed up by smashing home his seventh of the season.

With six minutes remaining Moore then sealed the points for Orient with a simply remarkable strike that will surely be one of the goal of the season contenders.

Allowed space 30-yards from goal, the midfielder then produced a moment of sheer brilliance by unleashing a shot that sailed into the top far corner and left Loach rooted in the Magpies goal.

It was a much-needed victory for the O’s as they ended a run of five games without a win in the League and moved back into the automatic promotion places.

ORIENT: Cisak, Clohessy, Baudry (C), Essam, Chicksen, Payne (Turgott 60), Pritchard, Moore, Cox, Palmer, Simpson (Dunne 86)

SUBS: Grainger, Shaw, James, Moncur, Kashket

GOALS: Moore (16 & 84), Simpson (79)


NOTTS COUNTY: Loach, Swerts, Sprockel, Audel, Sheehan (Campbell 43), Jenner (Hewitt 73), Thompson, Smith (C), Barmby, Spencer (McLeod HT), Stead

SUBS: Carroll, Noble, Hewitt, Burke, Edwards

GOALS: Stead (46)

BOOKINGS: Smith (71)

REFEREE: Darren England

ATTENDANCE: 5,193 (377 away)