access_time 6 years ago

A late goal saw Leyton Orient fall to their first defeat of the Final Third Development League season at home to AFC Bournemouth.

Lloyd James had given the O’s a seventh minute lead with a strike from 20-yards, but despite dominating the first half the sides were level at the break following Alessandro Cannataro’s 41st minute free-kick.

With the match looking set to end in a draw, it was the visitors who snatched a late victory when Josh O’Hanlon poked home from close range on the 88th minute so secure a 2-1 victory for the Cherries.

Ahead of the clash Orient named a strong side consisting of a number of first team players including the likes of Alan Dunne, Lloyd James and Dean Cox, and with only three minutes played the latter picked out Blair Turgott with a cross-field pass though the forward could only fire over.

Having enjoyed an encouraging start the O’s then took the lead through a wonderful goal by James, who controlled a clearance just outside the penalty area before rifling a shot into the top corner.

Alan Dunne was named captain for the match and then had a chance to double the O’s lead soon after from a corner, but could only direct his header over the bar.

Charlie Grainger had yet to be tested in the Orient goal but midway through the half the shot stopper had to be alert to push Josh O’Hanlon’s shot from distance over the bar.

Despite the chance Orient soon regained control and Scott Kashket intercepted a loose pass inside the visitors half but was unable to capitalise fully as he dragged his shot wide of the far post.

With half time approaching Bournemouth then equalised when substitute Alessandro Cannataro placed a free-kick beyond Grainger’s reach and into the bottom corner.

Having been pegged back the O’s failed to create many chances after the break as a James shot on the hour proved to be the only opportunity for either side early on.

Both sides were competing fiercely in the middle of the park and time looked to be running out for a winner, yet with eight minutes remaining Cox had a glorious chance to edge Orient back in front when played through by Kashket, only to drill a powerful shot narrowly over.

The miss was to then prove costly as with two minutes remaining Bournemouth snatched the victory when O’Hanlon got on the end of Keelan O’Connell’s low cross to poke home from close range.

Having fallen behind Dunne came close with a header in stoppage time but there was to be no equaliser as the O’s fell to a narrow defeat.

ORIENT: Grainger, Judd (Alderson 79), Pollock, Dunne (C), Shaw, James, Moncur, Turgott (Semedo 75), Cox, Trialist, Kashket

SUBS: Owusu, Adeboyejo

GOALS: James (7)