Match Report : 31/10/2015

access_time 6 years ago

Josh Windass’ first half strike was enough to hand Leyton Orient a 1-0 defeat at home to Accrington Stanley.

Despite Orient creating a number of chances early on, the 21 year-old scored the only goal of the match with a low finish on the 25th minute to settle the first-ever meeting between the sides.

Having won last time out at Morecambe, Orient Head Coach Ian Hendon stuck with the same starting line-up and made only one change to the substitutes bench as Dean Cox replaced Blair Turgott.

In sunny conditions the O’s enjoyed an encouraging start to the match although it was the visitors who had the opening chance when Piero Mingoia’s cross was volleyed across goal by Sean McConville.

Moments later Orient were then somehow denied the opening goal as first Connor Essam’s header from Jack Payne’s cross crashed back off the bar, before Ollie Palmer saw his shot saved and then accidently blocked Jay Simpson’s follow up.

Palmer was proving to be a real handful and then played a huge part the following attack when he rose well to head Adam Chicksen’s delivery back across goal for John Marquis who then saw a volley parried behind by Stanley goalkeeper Jason Mooney.

With Orient pushing forward the visitors then came close through Josh Windass when he narrowly curled a free-kick from 25-yards over the crossbar.

Stanley’s top scorer was to then go one better as on the 25th minute he found a way beyond Alex Cisak with a low finish having been played through by Billy Kee.

Having fallen behind Orient were struggling to get back into the match and as a result Ian Hendon made his first substitution after only 34 minutes, bringing on Dean Cox to replace Marquis who had a booking to his name.

In first half stoppage time Seamus Conneely stung the hands of Cisak with a shot from the edge of the area to which the goalkeeper failed to keep hold of before McConville poked the rebound over.

In need of a strong response after the break, good combination play between Cox, Simpson and Palmer saw the latter prod a shot wide of the post after failing to adjust his feet in time.

Essam then directed a header wide from a corner soon after, but as the hour mark approached Cisak had to be at full stretch to tip a Kee effort wide and then watch a McConville shot from distance drop just wide.

With the match inside the final ten minutes Cox dragged a shot wide from the edge of the area and Palmer sent a header over, but Stanley goalkeeper Mooney was untroubled as the visitors held on for the points.

The defeat drops Orient down to seventh in League Two but next weekend sees them host Staines Town in the FA Cup first round.

ORIENT: Cisak. Clohessy, Baudry (C), Essam (Kashket 76), Chicksen, Payne, Pritchard, Moore (James 60), Marquis (Cox 34), Simpson, Palmer

SUBS: Grainger, Dunne, Shaw, Moncur


BOOKINGS: Marquis (17), Pritchard (72)

ACCRINGTON STANLEY: Mooney, Halliday, Wright, Winnard (C), Pearson, Mingoia, Crooks, Conneely, McConville, Windass (McCartan 85), Kee

SUBS: Etheridge, Barry, Davies, Procter, Gornell,, Wakefield

GOALS: Windass (25)

BOOKINGS: Winnard (42), Conneely (68), Mingoia (90+4)

REFEREE: Graham Horwood

ATTENDANCE: 4,701 (139)