Match Report : 05/12/2015

access_time 6 years ago

Leyton Orient will have to travel to Scunthorpe United for a replay having been held to a 0-0 draw in the FA Cup Second Round.

Despite creating a number of opportunities throughout the match Orient were unable to find a way through and are now set for a trip to Glanford Park.

For the visit of Scunthorpe O’s Head Coach Ian Hendon was forced to shuffle the pack and make five changes to the side that started the draw against AFC Wimbledon last Saturday.

With Alex Cisak and Jay Simpson both absent through ankle knocks and Sammy Moore ruled out with a leg injury, Charlie Grainger was handed his home debut, while Mathieu Baudry, Lloyd James, Blair Turgott and Jobi McAnuff – who was making his first start of the season – also came into the side.

In blustery conditions neither side was able to grab a foothold of the tie in the opening exchanges, but the first opportunity dropped to Orient when Blair Turgott dragged a shot wide from 20-yards on the 12th minute.

Hakeeb Adelakun then responded moments later when he blazed a shot high into the stand, but it was the hosts who looked the more threating with the majority of possession.

Playing a 4-4-1-1 Ollie Palmer was leading the attack with Jobi McAnuff working just behind him, and the striker had a glorious chance to open the scoring midway inside the first half when he turned expertly on the edge of the box but could only drag his shot agonisingly wide of the far post.

Charlie Grainger had barely had a touch of the ball in the O’s goal but the 19-year-old dealt superbly with his first real test when he reacted well to keep out Adelakun’s shot with his legs before smothering the loose ball.

As half time approached it was Orient who continued to crank up the pressure but despite getting into a number of promising positions an opening goal was not forthcoming as the sides went into the break goalless.

Following the restart it was Scunthorpe who started the better, and Grainger was made to produce a top save to tip Adelakun’s powerful shot over the bar after the winger had worked half a yard inside the box.

Soon after Jack Payne was presented with a chance to break the deadlock when Frazer Shaw showed a marvellous piece of skill to get forward down the left and pull the ball back for the midfielder who could only direct his effort over the bar.

With 73 minutes on the clock Orient really should have edged in front when Turgott showed a great turn of pace to get away from Niall Canavan’s last ditch attempt of a challenge and pull the ball back for Palmer who despite being three-yards out failed to connect properly with the shot.

Jobi McAnuff was then the next to come close with ten minutes remaining when he pulled off a neat turn inside the box but Charlie Goode was able to deflect it behind for a corner.

Second-year scholar Victor Adeboyejo was then introduced for the final five minutes in place of Palmer, and the striker was to prove a real handful but with the match in added time fellow substitute Scott Kashket was unable to convert two late chances.

Following the draw Orient will now travel to Scunthorpe on the week commencing November 14 for the replay.

ORIENT: Grainger, Clohessy, Baudry (C), M’Voto, Shaw, Turgott, Pritchard (Kashket 61), Payne, James, McAnuff, Palmer (Adeboyejo 86)

SUBS: Sargeant, Dunne, Ling, Moncur, Semedo


BOOKINGS: Turgott (59)

SCUNTHORPE: Daniels, Wiseman, Goode, Canavan, Laird, McAllister (Ness 68), King (C), Madden, Williams, Adelakun (Van Veen 68), Henderson

SUBS: Anyon, Boyce, Wootton, Sutton, Clarke


BOOKINGS: Goode (26), Williams (44)

REFEREE: James Linington

ATTENDANCE: 2,540 (431)