YOUTH TEAM REPORT: Orient 1-1 Cambridge United

access_time 6 years ago

Steven Alzate’s second half strike saw the O’s U18’s shared the spoils with Cambridge United on Saturday.

Conditions were difficult for both sides as a frozen pitch delayed kick-off for 45 minutes. The first chances fell to the O’s as Josh Koroma glanced a header wide and Pat Adamson saw an effort saved.

Orient continued to probe the Cambridge goal but couldn’t land anything concrete until just past the half hour mark as Henry Ochieng’s  well-timed half volley was straight at the goalkeeper, before Tristan Abrahams fired an effort inches past the post moments later.

A goalmouth scramble presented Orient with another good opportunity, but neither Adamson and Koroma were able to find the back of the net, while Jordan Brown went up the other end and sliced an effort wide from close range.

Sam Dalby was introduced at the half-time interval, replacing Christian Owusu but it was Cambridge who came out the more threatening as Brown put the U’s in front as he poked the ball past an onrushing Sam Roach in the O’s goal for a 1-0 lead.

Teddy Perkins was brought on straight after the goal, replacing Dan Happe, but it was Cambridge who had the momentum and was starting to stretch the game, however, a fantastic ball by Alzate to Abrahams on the counter nearly led to a fantastic equaliser.

With 20 minutes to go, Orient found themselves level after a fantastic one-two between Dalby and Alzate,  saw the former roll a simple ball across for the latter to side foot home.

The last 20 minutes were dominated by Orient who had a penalty claim turned down after Perkins was brought down in the box and then Koroma had a curling effort tipped just over before Abrahams flashed one just wide as both teams were forced to settle for a point apiece.

ORIENT: Sam Roach, Dan Happe (Teddy Perkins 50), Rian McLean, Aron Pollock, Henry Ochieng, Charley Barker, Steven Alzate, Christian Owusu (Sam Dalby 45), Pat Adamson, Josh Koroma, Tristan Abrahams.

GOAL: Steven Alzate.