REPORT: Leyton Orient 0-1 Yeovil Town

access_time 5 years ago
 Tom Eaves’ second half header proved enough for Yeovil to take all three points back to Somerset as the O’s fell to their third home league defeat of the season.
In a game which didn’t have too many opportunities the visitors picked up their first win in six games when Eaves headed home former O’s loanee Ryan Hedges’ ball in on 76 minutes.
Orient boss Andy Hessenthaler stuck with the side which drew 2-2 last time out at Carlisle United, though there were notable inclusions on the bench for Nigel Atangana and Jay Simpson who returned from groin and back injuries respectively.  Goalkeeper Sam Sargeant missed the game through illness and was replaced by Charlie Grainger.
The first real chance of note went the way of the O’s as Gavin Massey let fly from 25 yards, forcing Artur Krysiak to save, and gather at the second attempt.
The game was devoid of much goalmouth action in the opening stages and it wasn’t until the 16th minute that either goalkeeper was forced into action, and this time it was the O’s stopper Alex Cisak as he reacted quickly to deny Nathan Smith at his near post with a strike from the acutest of angles.
That opportunity proved the catalyst though as Orient then went on the attack and a lovely move down the right involving Nicky Hunt, Jordan Bowery and Harry Cornick, with the latter pulling the ball back for an unmarked Liam Kelly who took one touch before firing over the bar.
Orient remained in the ascendancy and a ball across from Callum Kennedy found Paul McCallum who then played it nicely into the path of former Glovers loanee Harry Cornick, however, his fierce effort from eight yards out was over the bar.
Despite that pressure former O’s loanee Ryan Hedges was to go close up the other end as he was allowed to cut back in on his dangerous left foot, and the deflected effort was pushed wide by Cisak.
Nicky Hunt picked up what looked like an ankle injury late in the first half, and was unable to carry on after the break with Aron Pollock coming on in his place.
The second half wasn’t glittered with action either and the closest either side came was when Kennedy fired over after being set up by Massey.
Yeovil had a lot of the possession, but were failing to turn that into any danger, with Cisak and the O’s defence dealing with any threat which came their way.
The fans were calling for the introduction of Nigel Atangana and Jay Simpson, and just after the hour mark they got their wish – replacing skipper Robbie Weir and Jordan Bowery respectively.
With 71 minutes on the clock the first real chance of the second half went the way of the visitors. Nathan Smith’s delivery from the left was met by the head of Tom Eaves, however the effort was comfortable for Cisak to hold in the O’s goal.
Up the other end Krysiak was forced into his first save of the half when Simpson was presented with an opportunity, but the away keeper was able to hold.
It was not long until the deadlock was broken through and on 76 minutes it went the way of the visitors.
A short corner found its way to former O Hedges and his delivery into the box was met by the head of the former Bolton striker Tom Eaves who glanced it into the far corner despite the despairing efforts of Cisak.
Orient were now in even more of a desperate search for a goal and Massey let an effort go from 25 yards which Krysiak was only able to push away initially, however, the keeper reacted quickest and was able to thwart any potential follow-up strike from the O’s.
Four additional minutes were added on at the end of the half and Simpson went closest to an equaliser when his turn and shot was cleared off the line. However, the O’s were unable to get another opportunity as they slipped to defeat.
Orient: Cisak, Kennedy, Erichot, Parkes, Hunt (Pollock HT), Cornick, Weir (Atangana 63), Kelly, Massey, Bowery (Simpson 63), McCallum.
Subs: Grainger, Palmer, Nnomo, Semedo.
Booked: Erichot 60
Yeovil Town: Krysiak, Shephard, Smith, Ward © Dolan, Lacey, Dawson, Eaves, Khan (Mugabi 89), Butcher, Hedges.
Subs: Maddison, Lawless, Ezewele, Sowunmi, Campbell, Whitfield.
Goals: Eaves 76’
Booked: Butcher (26), Smith (35), Dawson (56).
Attendance:  4,557 (272 Yeovil Town fans)
Referee: Darren Deadman