FA YOUTH CUP REPORT: Poole Town 1-7 Leyton Orient

access_time 5 years ago

Captain Tristan Abrahams and Josh Koroma netted hat-tricks to help the young O’s secure a FA Youth Cup Third Round tie at Leicester City with a comfortable 7-1 win at Poole Town.

Abrahams got the ball rolling from the spot in the first half before adding a second just before the half-time interval.

Josh Koroma added a third 10 minutes into the second half, and though Ollie Balmer pulled one back from the penalty spot for the hosts, Abrahams’ third of the night restored the three-goal cushion.

Steven Alzate then got in on the goalscoring act as well, before Koroma netted twice in the final four minutes to add gloss to the win.

On a big, open pitch the O’s created the opening opportunity of the encounter when Josh Koroma fired over the bar, before the hosts went up the other end and saw Ollie Balmer’s strike from just outside the area fly over.

Toby Stevenson started brightly down the left and after a fine run his shot was parried by goalkeeper Sam Goodland, and the rebound couldn’t fall kindly enough for Abrahams to get a shot away.

Abrahams fizzed an effort wide as they began to impose themselves on the game, and Richard Thomas’ side took the lead with their next forage forward.

Myles Judd showed the home defence a clean pair of heels, before being felled in the area with referee Martin Bloor pointing to the spot.

Skipper Abrahams took the spot-kick and sent Goodland the wrong way to give the O’s the advantage.

Chances continued to come for the O’s as Sam Dalby glanced an effort wide following a good pull back from Koroma, before some good forward play saw Dalby lay the ball across to Adamson on the left, only for Woodland to save once more.

Dalby poked a further effort wide before he looked to have put the O’s 2-0 up when as he followed in Abrahams’ effort and taped home, however, the play was pulled back for offside.

Orient didn’t have to wait too much longer though to double their advantage when Abrahams bagged his second of the night as he swept home left-footed into the bottom corner.

Poole Replaced Woodland with Jeremy James in goal for the second half, and he was forced to make a save within the first four minutes to deny Abrahams his hat-trick.

However, Thomas’ side extended their lead 10 minutes into the half though when Abrahams was denied once more, before Dalby’s low cross found Koroma who was able to convert at the back post.

The three-goal advantage didn’t last long though as O’s keeper Roach was penalised for a foul just inside the area, and Balmer was on hand to net the spot-kick to give the hosts a lifeline.

Orient remained undeterred by Poole’s push to get back in the game, and Henry Ochieng crashed an effort against the bar before Adamson fired the rebound over.

The O’s soon restored the three-goal cushion though when Alzate’s initial effort was kept out, but Abrahams was first to rebound and produced a cool finish to complete his hat-trick and take his tally for the season to 18 goals.

Four soon became five for the O’s as Abrahams turned provider for Alzate who stroked the effort into the bottom corner.

Thomas rung the changes with Ruel Sotirou, Teddy Perkins and Andrew Camilo-Tayaca all coming on for further Youth Cup experience.

And it was Sotirou who went close twice to increasing the O’s winning margin as he sprung the offside trap, only to be denied by a solid stop from the onrushing James, before minutes later seeing a shot blocked from close range.

The O’s were to match their goalscoring tally from the opening round win at Southend in the closing stages as Koroma’s drilled effort found the back of the net.

His and Orient’s night didn’t end there though as he also completed his hat-trick in the final minute when he curled a low free-kick into the bottom corner to round off a fine night’s work for the youngsters.

Poole Town: Goodland (James HT), Watkins, Wright (Cole 71), Leslie-Smith, Browning, Richardson, Farrugia, White, Spiteri, Hockey (Davies 68), Balmer.


Goals: Balmer (59 pen)

Orient: Roach, Judd, Stevenson, Ochieng (Perkins 78), Happe, McLean, Koroma, Alzate, Abrahams © (Sotiriou 72), Dalby (Camilo-Tayaca 81), Adamson.

Subs: Janata, Hall.

Goals: Abrahams (22 pen, 45+1, 65), Koroma (55, 87, 90), Alzate (69)

Attendance: 316

Referee: Martin Bloor