REPORT: Stevenage 4-1 Leyton Orient

access_time 5 years ago

Two goals in either half saw the O’s slip to a 4-1 defeat at Stevenage.

Ben Kennedy and Matt Godden put the hosts in command, and though Paul McCallum pulled one back, second half goals from Luke Wilkinson and Tom Pett sealed the win for Darren Sarll’s side.

Orient made three changes from the side which lost 1-0 to Cheltenham Town on Saturday with Nicky Hunt returning to the starting line-up following suspension, while there were also places in the starting line-up for Sammy Moore and Michael Clark.

Chances were at a premium in the opening stages, but any opportunities that were fashioned came the way of Stevenage. Michael Clark carried on where he left off at the weekend with a fine block to deny a goalbound Ben Kennedy effort, before the same player curled a strike just wide with Sargeant at full stretch.

It was all Stevenage and Kennedy forced another save from Sargeant before Darren Sarll’s side broke the deadlock and it was through that man Kennedy on 19 minutes when he headed home Tom Pett’s cross.

One soon became two when Stevenage where awarded a penalty by referee Charles Breakspear, who sent off both Robbie Weir and Jens Janse against Plymouth,  when skipper Hunt was adjudged to have tussled with a Stevenage attacker. Matt Godden stepped up and sent Sargeant the wrong way to double the hosts advantage.

However, the O’s pulled one back with their first opportunity of the game on 24 minutes when Michael Collins’ free-kick into the box found the head of McCallum and he nodded home his 12th goal of the season.

That gave the O’s hope and they created the next opening when Moore played through Koroma who in turn found the run of Massey down the right but the in-form man directed his effort into the side-netting.

Stevenage tried to wrestle back the dominance as both Godden and McAnuff saw efforts blocked by the O’s backline.

King found space at the back post from a McAnuff corner but directed his header into the ground and over Sargeant’s bar.

As the half entered three minutes of stoppage time Orient ended it on top as Massey started a quick breakaway and he found Koroma. He paced his way through on goal before seeing a shot gathered at the second attempt by Chris Day, before Collins’ deflected effort went behind for a corner.

The second half was only three minutes old when the hosts restored a two-goal cushion when a ball in from the right found the head of Luke Wilkinson who powered it into the bottom corner past the outstretched dive of Sargeant.

Three almost became four when the ball fell to Ogilvie six yards out but his effort rattled against the bar as Orient started the second half like they did the first – on the back foot.

Stevenage did make it four on 62 minutes when Tom Pett was left unmarked and he shot home despite last ditch attempts from Nicky Hunt on the line.

Youngsters Freddy Moncur and Steven Alzate made the first team debuts off the bench in place of Moore and Semedo.

Collins dinked an effort which saw Day scrambling but the veteran goalkeeper managed to keep the effort out. Judd saw a shot blocked as Orient’s youngsters continued to give their all to the cause despite the scoreline.

Koroma forced Day into a solid stop as Orient bagan to dominate and then Day superbly tipped over Massey’s effort, before Koroma bundled an effort over the line but a foul was awarded on Day.

Chances began to evaporate in the pouring rain at the Lamex Stadium as Koroma saw a deflected effort saved and four minutes stoppage time saw Orient on top, with Koroma again going close, but the damage was done and the O’s now head to Newport County on Saturday.

STEVENAGE: Day, King, Franks, Wilkinson, McAnuff (Hinds 83), Pett (Cowans 75), Kennedy, Tonge, Ogilvie, Lee, Godden (Loft 88).

SUBS: Preston, McQuoid, Gorman, Ntlhe.

GOALS: Kennedy (19), Godden (23 pen), Wilkinson (48), Pett (62)



ORIENT: Sargeant, Judd, Hunt (c), Clark, Kennedy, Koroma, Collins, Moore (Moncur 60), Semedo (Alzate 62), McCallium (Adeboyejo 83), Massey.

SUBS: Grainger, Mezague, Dalby, Happe.

GOALS: McCallum (24)

BOOKED: Hunt (23), Massey (31)


REFEREE: Charles Breakspear.