Match Report : 08/04/2017

access_time 4 years ago

A youthful O’s first team suffered a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Cambridge United.

After a solid opening, Luke Berry broke the deadlock for the hosts, who then doubled their lead going into the break when Liam O’Neil headed home.

George Maris extended the advantage further eight minutes into the second half as an Orient side containing 15 Academy products involved in the 18-man matchday squad lost out.

Orient boss Omer Riza, watching the game from the stands after his sending off last weekend in the 2-0 home loss to Wycombe Wanderers was forced into five changes to the team with the back three consisting of Dan Happe on debut alongside Michael Clark and Aron Pollock, while Freddy Moncur and Steven Alzate were in from the off.

Charley Barker was on the first-team bench for the first time along with Rian McLean as 15 of the 18 matchday squad were made up of Academy products.

Orient saw the early minutes out well and created the first opportunity of the game when Liburd tried his luck with the outside of the boot from an acute angle but the shot across goal was wide.

The O’s were handling the situation well against a far more experienced Cambridge side, and kept the hosts chances down to a minimum.

Sargeant rose highest to claim a defensive header from Liburd before Dunk could only chest over Luke O’Neil’s ball in.

The Orient goalkeeper was forced into his first proper save of the game on 26 minutes though when tipping Jake Carroll’s fierce effort after drifting in off the left.

But he was picking the ball out of the back of his net on 31 minutes when a cross from the left by Harrison Dunk was met by Luke Berry at the back post and he headed low past a helpless Sargeant.

The powerful Ikpeazu was next to wriggle free of his marker before unleashing a shot over the bar, as the hosts looked to add a quickfire second.

The O’s responded well to going a goal behind and only a fine save from Will Norris in the U’s goal denied us a leveller.

Koroma played the ball out wide to Moncur who in turn laid the ball back to Collins and his first-time cross was glanced goalwards by the head of Liburd before Norris pulled off the solid stop.

That save proved crucial as with four minutes left on the clock before the break the hosts doubled their advantage when O’Neil headed home a George Maris free-kick.

He was inches away from making it three on the stroke of half time though but saw his effort across goal go inches wide of the target with Sargeant diving to his right.

No changes were made at the break by either side and the hosts asserted control in the opening five minutes as Dunk headed against the post from Newton’s ball in, while up the other end a good ball in from Moncur went unrewarded.

Cambridge made it 3-0 with 53 minutes on the clock as the O’s failed to clear a ball into the box and it fell invitingly for George Maris to lash home from close range.

Sargeant did well moments later to push Ikpeazu’s effort behind for a corner with the striker trying to squeeze the effort into the near post.

Within seconds of coming on, U’s Medy Elito glanced a header just wide, while the O’s made two changes with Tristan Abrahams and Victor Adeboyejo coming on for Rowan Liburd and Josh Koroma respectively.

Dan Happe was forced off the pitch through injury with less than 15 minutes to go and was replaced by Henry Ochieng.

The chances began to dry up as the game drifted to a close but O’Neil tried to double his afternoon’s tally from distance, only to see it fall wide.

Kelly was booked for diving late on when adjudged to have gone down too easily in the box, before Alzate tried his luck but fired wide in stoppage time as the O’s succumbed to defeat at the Cambs Glass Stadium ahead of the Good Friday trip to Luton Town.

CAMBRIDGE UNITED: Norris, Taylor, Legge, Halliday, Carroll, Maris (McGurk 68), Newton (Lewis 82), O’Neil, Dunk, Berry, Ikpeazu (Elito 63).

SUBS: Gregory, Roberts, Williamson, Clark.

BOOKED: Newton (29).


GOALS: Berry (31), O’Neil (41), Maris (53)

LEYTON ORIENT: Sargeant, Clark, Pollock, Happe (Ochieng 76); Kelly, Collins, Moncur, Alzate; Semedo, Liburd (Abrahams 60), Koroma (Adeboyejo 61).

SUBS: Grainger, Dalby, Barker, McLean.

BOOKED: Kelly (87)



REFEREE: Nicholas Kinseley

ATTENDANCE: 4,861 (641 Leyton Orient fans)