Kickoff: 18/09 15:00
English Football League - League Two
Bristol Rovers
Bristol Rovers
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient

REPORT: Leyton Orient 2-1 Hartlepool United

access_time 4 years ago

The O’s came from behind to pick up a vital three points with a 2-1 win over Hartlepool United on Easter Monday at the Matchroom Stadium.

They trailed to a Rhys Oates effort on eight minutes, but the never say die spirit of Orient has never been in question and a first senior goal for Victor Adeboyejo levelled matters, before Tristan Abrahams netted his second in as many games to seal the win for Omer Riza’s side.

Orient made the one change from the starting line-up which drew 2-2 at Luton Town on Good Friday with goalscorer Tristan Abrahams making his first senior start, while goalkeeper Arthur Janata was back on the bench in place of Charlie Grainger.

The O’s started brightly and an effort from Liam Kelly was deflected into the hands of Joe Fryer in the Pools goal, before Victor Adeboyejo’s fierce strike from close range was tipped behind by the legs of the keeper.

But with their first chance the visitors found themselves in front when a ball over the top found Rhys Oates and though Pollock and Semedo did their best to track back, the Pools player slotted an effort beyond Sargeant.

That did not deter the O’s and the home fans were in great voice throughout and the next chance of any real note saw the hosts deservedly level.

A lovely piece of skill from Michael Clark down the right hand side presented the defender with plenty of space to run into. He looked unsure at what to do at first, but delivered a lovely ball into the box and then Adeboyejo was there to slot home his first senior goal for the O’s.

 In terms of chances Hartlepool were not creating too many opportunities but they were gilt-edged as Amond found strike partner Alessandra but the forward shot straight at Sargeant.

The O’s went straight up the other end though and had chances of their own. The lively Adeboyejo fired wide across goal following Alzate’s ball through before the same man shot off target after good link-up play with Abrahams.

Orient were playing some lovely stuff throughout and the O’s found themselves in front on 34 minutes when Alzate did well to play in Abrahams and took one touch, turned on the ball and fired an unstoppable effort past Fryer to send the home crowd wild.

As the half drew to a close Alessandra fired straight at Sargeant, before Ochieng unleashed a fierce effort which fell back into his path but the strike was just over the bar and that brought play to a close.

Hartlepool dominated the early stages of the second half having made a change at the break with Michael Woods coming on for Nicky Deverdics. Nathan Thomas headed over with Sargeant watching the ball over the bar, after Semedo had marshalled the ball behind for a corner.

Abrahams saw an effort pushed over the bar by Fryer before skipper Kelly did well up the other end to put a dangerous ball in from Woods behind for a corner and then both Oates and Amond missed a teasing delivery from the left.

There was a welcome return for striker Paul McCallum off the bench, and he replaced Steven Alzate. Goalscorer Adeboyejo then also received a warm round of applause as he was substituted with just over quarter of an hour remaining, with Josh Koroma coming on in his place.

Time was ticking away though and the O’s had to be thankful for the last-ditch efforts of Aron Pollock who kept out Oates’ goalbound effort.

Late on Liam Donnelly was booked twice in a matter of seconds after showing referee Dean Whitestone plenty of dissent, and that proved to be the last action of the game as Orient picked up their first win double of the season to keep alive our hopes of survival

ORIENT: Sargeant, Mezague, Pollock, Clark; Semedo, Ochieng, Collins, Kelly: Alzate (McCallum 70), Adeboyejo (Koroma 76), Abrahams (Moncur 84).

SUBS: Janata, Dalby Happe, Janse.

BOOKED: Semedo (59), Koroma (84)


GOALS: Adeboyejo (18), Abrahams (34).

HARTLEPOOL UNITED: Fryer, Magnay, Featherstone (Rooney 82), Donnelly, Harrison, Deverdics (Woods HT) Oates, Walker, Thomas, Alessandra, Amond (Rodney 74).

SUBS: Bates, Hawkins, Blackford, Dudzinski.

BOOKED:  Walker (86), Donnelly (90)

SENT OFF:  Donnelly (90)

GOALS: Oates (8)

REFEREE: Dean Whitestone

ATTENDANCE: 5,411 (351 Hartlepool United fans)