U18 REPORT: Leyton Orient 0-1 Luton Town

access_time 4 years ago

A tough battle between two solid sides saw them go into the break goalless, before the visitors grabbed the only goal of the game when Kitan Sorunke scored on the hour mark.

Having ran out victorious at home to Gillingham on the opening day, Youth Team Coach Danny Webb made one change as Luca Carter-Henry came in for Sam Dalby.

O’s Head Coach Steve Davis was in attendance along with Club Chairman Nigel Travis and Vice-Chairman Kent Teague, and the trio witnessed a close affair from the first whistle.

A cagey opening 20 minutes of a well contested game gave both teams an equal share of possession, but neither side could create a clear-cut chance to test the keepers.

On the half hour mark Orient’s first opportunity of the game came when Charles Clayden beat his marker for pace and drilled a low cross in to the box, but nobody in an Orient shirt was able to get on the end of it.

Moments before the break, high pressure forced a mistake which Mikhail Hemans pounced on, leading an attack passing it to Clayden who twisted and turned his man before crossing the ball in to the path of on-running Jaedon Phillips whose first-time shot stung the hands of the Luton Town goalkeeper.

Orient continued to pile on the pressure after half-time when Andrew Camilo-Tayaca’s early cross forced the Luton defender in to heading back towards his goal, and despite looking destined for the bottom corner the ‘keeper managed to palm it around the post.

Despite the O’s pressure it was Luton who managed to get the breakthrough when a cross played in from the wide right was slotted home at the back post by Kitan Sorunke.

In response to the goal, Ernold Haxhiu’s through ball to Phillips gave the winger a clear path through after entering the box, but Phillips could only drag his shot just wide of the post.

Orient were pressing for an equaliser in the closing stages, and captain Teddy Perkins rose highest to meet an Aaron Rowe corner, but his effort was directed straight into the hands of the goalkeeper.

Minutes before the final whistle Camilo-Tayaca’s whipped cross was perfectly directed towards the corner of the net by Hemans, but the Luton goalkeeper made yet another outstanding save to keep the ball out of his net and ensure victory for the visitors.

ORIENT: Arthur Janata, Andrew Camilo-Tayaca, Teddy Perkins (C), Toby Stevenson, Alfie Fleming, Ernold Haxhiu, Jaedon Phillips, Amin Benyoucef, Charles Clayden, Mikhail Hemans, Luca Carter-Henry (Aaron Rowe 45)
SUBS: Samuel Amedu, Brendon Shabani, Winford Marof, Will Sanders