U18 REPORT: Leyton Orient 1-0 Cambridge United

access_time 4 years ago

A fairly even game saw the O’s edge the tie with Aaron Rowe’s first half strike being the only goal in a game of plenty of chances.

After falling to a 1-0 defeat at home to Gillingham last weekend, Youth Team Coach Danny Webb made one change as Aaron Rowe came in for Luca Carter-Henry.

Keen to get off to a positive start with Director of Football Martin Ling in attendance, the O’s were able to achieve just that and opened the scoring after only 27 seconds.

Straight from kick off the O’s worked the ball up field and quickly picked out Rowe in the box, who found space and fired a low shot across the Cambridge goalkeeper who couldn’t get his hands to it to find the bottom corner.

Cambridge almost responded to the goal instantly and came close to a leveller, but O’s goalkeeper Arthur Janata came off his line well to close down the opposing striker and collect the ball safely.

The visitors then came close to an equaliser soon after, when an early cross found the head of a U’s striker who couldn’t direct his header away from Janata and the stopper showed good hands to hold the effort.

After a quick start to the game, both sides settled down and began to move the ball well and with 30 minutes gone Charles Clayden stung the hands of the goalkeeper at the near post after collecting the ball in space out on the left and beating his man well.

Moments later, Alfie Fleming’s looping cross-come-shot looked to be floating in to the corner of the net before the Cambridge ‘keeper managed to recover and palm it over the bar for a corner.

With the half time interval looming, Cambridge United’s left back struck a vicious volley from 30-yards which pinged off the post before rolling behind for a goal kick.

The visitors started the second half brightly, and looked to be in on goal when captain Teddy Perkins’ back pass fell perfectly in to the path of the opposition striker who was quickly closed down by Janata.

Cambridge continued to pile pressure on the O’s side, but strong defending kept the visitors at bay, while Leyton Orient looked to hit them on the counter. Rowe played a through ball in to the path of Amin Benyoucef, but the midfielder was forced wide and skied his effort.

After some nice play the visitors found space down the right wing on the hour mark and managed to pull it back to the edge of the box before they saw a shot come back off the post for the second time.

Minutes later Cambridge were attacking again, and a scramble in the box the ball fell to a player in space but the midfielder saw his shot blocked off the line by his own teammate.

The O’s looked to ease the pressure off the backline when Clayden was sent running upfield but despite being through on goal, the midfielder looked to square it to Rowe but the ball was cleared before he could get a touch on it.

Despite a nervy final few minutes Orient were able to withstand the visitors attempts of forcing an equaliser and comfortably saw the game out after Fleming threw his body in front of the ball to block a goalbound volley.

The O’s make their first away trip of the season this weekend when they travel to Stevenage where they will be looking to build on an impressive victory.

Speaking after the game, boss Danny Webb said; “We’ve got to take into consideration we are probably the youngest youth team in the league this year as the majority of the team consists of first-year scholars.

“I’m really proud of how they stood up to the challenge. It is all about development at this stage of their careers, and we lost 1-0 to Luton last week despite playing really well but managed to claim the victory today without playing particularly well.

“We’ve got a few things to work on, so as much as it’s great that the boys have grinded out a very mature 1-0 win, there’s lots to work on in the week ahead.”

ORIENT: Arthur Janata, Andrew Camilo-Tayaca, Teddy Perkins (C), Toby Stevenson, Alfie Fleming, Ernold Haxhiu, Jaedon Phillips, Amin Benyoucef, Charles Clayden, Mikhail Hemans (Luca Carter-Henry 70), Aaron Rowe (Hector Kyprianou 80)
SUBS: Samuel Amedu, Will Sanders