REPORT: Maidenhead United 0-1 Leyton Orient

access_time 4 years ago

Bonne’s sixth minute header proved to be the difference on a sweltering afternoon, as the summer arrival expertly guided a James Dayton cross beyond Carl Pentney in the hosts goal.

With only two days since the O’s draw at home to Eastleigh, Head Coach Steve Davis made two changes to the starting XI as Romuald Boco and Josh Koroma replaced Jobi McAnuff and David Mooney who dropped to the bench.

In brilliant weather conditions with the sun shining, one point separated the sides ahead of kick off and in the absence of Charlie Lee and David Mooney, defender George Elokobi captained the side.

It was the O’s who looked brighter from the first whistle, and with six minutes on the clock opened the scoring with a brilliant move which saw Macauley Bonne head home the opener season having been picked out beautifully by James Dayton.

The goal was Bonne’s fourth of the season since arriving from Colchester in July, and the striker continued to threaten the Maidenhead defence with his sharp movement and runs down the channels.

Dayton then looked to add a second five minutes after the opener, but his sharp turn from a Jake Caprice throw ended with his shot rolling wide of the post.

Josh Koroma partnered Bonne in attack having replaced David Mooney for the fixture, and the young forward almost latched onto a through ball from Craig Clay but Magpies goalkeeper Carl Pentney came off his line quickly to claim the ball.

Romuald Boco was the other player to come into the starting XI, and having started out on the left showed good movement to find some space 25-yards from goal before connecting with a sweet half-volley which dropped just over the bar.

O’s goalkeeper Charlie Grainger had been relatively untroubled during the opening exchanges but with just over 10 minutes of the half remaining showed good hands to keep hold of Dave Tarpey’s curling free-kick.

Grainger was then called into action moments later, getting down brilliantly to his left to deny Sean Marks at his near post after the Maidenhead forward had got the better of Elokobi near the corner flag.

Despite growing into the tie as the half wore on, Maidenhead were unable to create any further chances prior to the interval as the O’s went into the break a goal ahead.

Orient returned unchanged for the second half and with only a few minutes played had a brilliant opportunity to double their advantage when Koroma received the ball in space inside the area but his shot was straight at Pentney who parried the effort away.

James Comley was then allowed time to line up a shot outside the O’s area, but despite getting a clean connection his strike flew just over the crossbar.

Koroma was looking very lively following the restart and the young forward created another great opportunity on the 54th minute when he played a neat one-two with Boco before curling an effort just wide of the top corner.

With the hour mark approaching Maidenhead looked set to equalise when Harry Pritchard’s low shot fell into the path of Marks six yards out, but the forward was excellently thwarted by Grainger who made himself big to block the shot before holding the loose ball.

Orient Head Coach Steve Davis then decided to make a double substitution on the 64th minute, introducing Jobi McAnuff and David Mooney in place of Dayton and Koroma, with the latter being handed the captain’s armband by Elokobi.

As the final stages approached Maidenhead turned to a much more direct approach, with forward Dave Tarpey spurning a couple of great openings inside the box.

Midfielder Henry Ochieng was then handed his first appearance of the season as he replaced Boco for the final 10 minutes, and having only just came on gave referee Richard Hulme a big decision to make when he was brought down by Pentney outside the area after beating the goalkeeper to a McAnuff through ball.

Hulme opted to only show the goalkeeper a booking, and from the free-kick McAnuff saw his shot come back off the wall before Maidenhead countered and saw a low Marks cross brilliantly cleared by Joe Widdowson for a corner.

With the full time whistle approaching Maidenhead continued to throw bodies forward in search of an equaliser and substitute Sam Barratt first headed wide before seeing an ambitious shot from the halfway line drop over the bar.

Five minutes stoppage time was shown by the fourth official, and Mooney had a great chance to seal the victory for the visitors as he found space on the edge of the box, but his low shot was parried away by Pentney.

Brilliant defensive work from McAnuff then sparked an O’s counter attack as Clay picked out Bonne, who drove forward before fizzing the ball across the face of the goal which was just too heavy for Mooney to reach at the far post.

Elokobi and Josh Coulson had been superb at the heart of the O’s defence, and with seconds remaining the latter stood his ground brilliantly to deny Tarpey from close range to secure a clean sheet and another three points for Orient at York Road.

MAIDENHEAD: Pentney, Clerima, Inman (Goodman 57), Massey (C), Steer (Barratt 79), Odametey, Comley, Upward (Clifton 65), Pritchard, Marks, Tarpey
SUBS: Smith, Mulley
BOOKED: Massey (42), Clifton (66), Pentney (81)

ORIENT: Grainger, Caprice, Coulson, Elokobi (C), Widdowson, Lawless, Clay, Dayton (McAnuff 64), Boco (Ochieng 75), Koroma (Mooney 64), Bonne
SUBS: Sargeant, Sendles-White
GOALS: Bonne (6)
BOOKED: Clay (32), Coulson (63), Bonne (73)

REFEREE: Richard Hulme
ATTENDANCE: 2,544 (734 Orient supporters)