REPORT: Boreham Wood 2-0 Leyton Orient

access_time 4 years ago

Danny Woodards found the breakthrough on the 35th minute with a powerful strike from a rebound, before Keiran Murtagh notched early into the second half to inflict a first defeat in five games.

O’s Head Coach Steve Davis decided to stick with the same starting XI that defeated Guisley the previous weekend. There was one change on the bench however, as midfielder Alex Lawless returned from a hip flexor injury.

With the sun shining ahead of kick off, Orient looked to get off to a bright start and midfielder Henry Ochieng fizzed a shot wide of the post after James Dayton had seen two efforts of his own blocked in the area.

The weather quickly changed however, and as the rain fell heavily Craig Clay flashed a shot over the bar having been teed up by Jobi McAnuff.

Following the early pressure, Boreham Wood started to grow into the game as forward Bruno Andrade floated a free-kick towards the far post which was bravely headed behind by George Elokobi under pressure.

Neither side had managed a shot on target during the opening exchanges but with 20 minutes on the clock McAnuff cut inside from the left and saw a curling effort held by Grant Smith in the Wood goal.

Shaun Jeffers then reacted well to turn on the edge of the O’s penalty area two minutes later, but the forward was unable to find the target as his volley sailed over the crossbar.

With the 30-minute mark approaching Andrade then found himself inches away from giving the hosts the lead as his free-kick beat the wall before dropping inches wide of the post with Charlie Grainger at full stretch.

The opening goal was to come in the 35th minute however, and in the hosts favour as Kieron Murtagh wriggled his way into the area before seeing his goalbound shot cleared off the line by Elokobi, but only as far as Danny Woodards who smashed home from the rebound.

Having notched a hat-trick against Guiseley last weekend, O’s forward Macauley Bonne had endured a frustrating first half only to be presented with a glorious chance to level the tie a minute before the break.

David Mooney expertly turned inside the Wood half and threaded an inch-perfect ball for Bonne who managed to beat the offside trap but could only curl his shot over the bar as the half ended 1-0.

Following the break, both sides returned unchanged before Boreham Wood doubled their advantage on the 52nd minute when Murtagh stroked home from close range following an error by Elokobi.

In an immediate response to falling behind, Matt Harrold came on in place of Ochieng as the O’s switched to a 4-4-2 diamond formation which saw Mooney operate just behind the front two.

With the O’s looking for a way back into the game, it was Boreham Wood who had the next opportunity as Andrade got the better of Elokobi before curling an effort wide of the far post.

The change looked to spark the visitors into life, and full-backs Jake Caprice and Joe Widdowson were proving to be good outlets on the flanks, with the latter flashing a brilliant ball across goal only for nobody in an O’s shirt ready to pounce.

Orient were then forced into a second substitution of the afternoon with just under 25 minutes remaining as Josh Coulson went down with an injury and was replaced by Jamie Sendles-White in a like-for-like change.

A record attendance of 1,920 was announced midway through the second half, with Orient making up 1,264 of those at Meadow Park.

Time was running out for the O’s to find a way back into the game, and it was the hosts who forced Grainger into making two saves, first to repel Andrade’s effort before keeping hold of former Orient winger Blair Turgott’s shot.

In between the chances, Josh Koroma was brought on in place of Dayton for the final 12 minutes, and having made all three substitutions the day was made even worse as Elokobi was forced off with an injury meaning the O’s had to see the game out with 10-men.

Five minutes stoppage time was shown by the fourth official, and with two remaining the O’s broke swiftly before Koroma clipped a ball across goal which was just too far in front of the stretching Harrold as Boreham Wood claimed the vico

BOREHAM WOOD: G Smith, K Smith, Champion, Stephens, Wells, Woodards, Ricketts (C), Turgott, Murtagh, Andrade, Jeffers (Benson 81)
SUBS: Johnson, Sach, Keita, Thomas
GOALS: Woodards (35), Murtagh (52)
BOOKED: K Smith (3), Stephens (38), Ricketts (78)

ORIENT: Grainger, Caprice, Coulson (Sendles-White 67), Elokobi, Widdowson, Ochieng (Harrold 52), Clay, Dayton (Koroma 78), McAnuff, Mooney (C), Bonne
SUBS: Sargeant, Lawless
BOOKED: McAnuff (77), Widdowson (90+2)

REFEREE: Dean Middleton
ATTENDANCE: 1,920 (1,264 Orient supporters)