U18 REPORT: Leyton Orient 0-2 Northampton Town

access_time 4 years ago

The visitors grabbed two goals within ten minutes of each other in the opening half to seal the win. Despite the O’s going close through Ruel Sotiriou whose second half effort crashed off the bar Northampton stood strong to withheld the pressure.

Youth Team Coach Danny Webb made one chance to the starting XI, which saw Jaedon Phillips return to the side after injury to replace Hector Kyprianou who dropped to the bench.

Both teams started brightly and battled well to get a hold of the ball and turn possession into chances in the opening 20 minutes. It was Northampton however who had the better chances early on.

The first coming from a hanging cross into the box met by the free head of the Northampton striker, but the effort flew just wide of the target.

The second came when the ball fell at the feet of the striker in the box who had time to place his shot but rushed it and blazed the ball over the crossbar.

Northampton were to make their next chance pay, with 15 minutes remaining of the first half Sean Whaler curled a shot at goal from the corner of the box, it bounced just under Janata’s stretched arms and into the ne giving the opposition the lead.

The visitors immediately looked to add to their lead and saw an effort ping back off the crossbar before Janata brilliantly saved the rebound from close range.

The away side then scored their second five minutes later, when Janata parried a low free kick away from goal, but only into the path of Joe Jarvis who was able to poke home through a crowd of bodies from a tight angle.

Once the teams had returned after the break, the O’s got the game back underway and looked the brighter of the two sides.

But the home side’s chances were limited long range efforts, the best came from Amin Benyoucef who stung the goalkeeper’s hands after he shook off two opposing midfielders.

The O’s went close on another two occasions, the first through Sotiriou whose headed effort was held well by the Northampton shot stopper and the second through Phillips whose volley from close range produced another good save from the visitors ‘keeper.

However, Orient’s large amounts of possession sometimes left them vulnerable to counter attacks and that was most evident when a volley from point blank range was excellently beaten away by Janata to deny the visitors a third.

A final search to pull one back saw Sotiriou’s effort cannon back off the crossbar, before Kyprianou’s deflected rebound crept just past the post to see the game end in defeat for the O’s.

On the performance, coach Webb said; “The first half was poor, we were making too many individual mistakes that costs us games. I’ve told the lads the game they are trying to get into is extremely ruthless and we set the bar with my group from last year.”

“It’s been very mixed, the last two performances have been decent but we had some poor performances in there. It’s a case of still trying to develop the players and hopefully get them involved in some U21s games to test them further.”

ORIENT: Arthur Janata, Andrew Camilo-Tayaca, Teddy Perkins, Toby Stevenson, Alfie Fleming, Ernold Haxhiu (Brendon Shabani, 57), Jaedon Phillips, Luca Carter-Henry (Hector Kyprianou, 45), Amin Benyoucef, Ruel Sotiriou, Charles Clayden (Will Sanders, 75)
SUBS: Samuel Amedu