Kickoff: 25/09 15:00
English Football League - League Two
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
Mansfield Town
Mansfield Town

REPORT: Leyton Orient 1-2 AFC Fylde

access_time 4 years ago

Danny Rowe’s 15th minute free-kick had given the visitors the lead going into the break, and following the restart Rowe popped up with his second from 30-yards. McAnuff pulled one back with 17 minutes remaining, but the O’s were unable to salvage a point despite late pressure.

After rescuing a point at Aldershot last weekend, Head Coach Steve Davis made three changes to the starting XI. Dan Happe and David Mooney were both recalled to the team while new signing Mark Ellis lined up in the centre of defence for his debut.

Striker Matt Harrold also made his return to the squad as a substitute, while defender Joe Widdowson was side-lined due to a thigh injury.

Both sides made an even start to proceedings and shared early chances through Danny Rowe, whose long-range effort was dragged just wide of the post and James Dayton’s cross in search of David Mooney was clutched by Jay Lynch in the AFC Fylde goal.

Just within the first quarter of an hour the visitors took the lead through a powerful Danny Rowe free-kick which took a deflection off the wall on its way in to Charlie Grainger’s net.

The O’s almost made an immediate response to going a goal behind when Caprice’s low cross was poked just wide by Mooney.
The O’s were in search of an equaliser when Jobi McAnuff picked out Craig Clay on the edge of the box, who found pace and fired an effort at goal only to be denied by the feet of Lynch.

Again, McAnuff was in down the wing before cutting in on to his right foot and sending in a teasing cross which Bonne just missed and keeper Lynch caught.

With three minutes remaining a wonderful bit of skill from McAnuff allowed him to link up with Dayton whose goal-bound effort was blocked before reaching the target.

Orient remained unchacnged ahead of the second half while Fylde made two changes in an attempt to defend their lead.

After an O’s attack was cleared up field, Rowe found space and drove the ball in to the top corner of the net from distance to double the visitors lead.

Mark Ellis almost clawed one back after connecting with McAnuff’s free-kick on the six-yard line, but the defender’s effort was directed over the bar.

The O’s go close again, this time through Macauley Bonne who gets a head on the end of a Caprice cross, but the striker could not keep his close-range effort down to strike the target.

Bonne went close again soon after, this time he glanced his header on the post after McAnuff sent a free-kick in to the near post.

The large spells of possession and countless chances soon paid off when McAnuff nodded in a Dayton cross at the back post to pull one back for Orient as just under 20 minutes remained.

It was all one-way traffic in Orient’s favour when Matt Harrold rose highest direct Dayton’s cross towards goal. However, the striker’s effort was saved on the goalline by Lynch who managed to keep the ball out by an inch.

Continuing to search for that equaliser, substitute Romuald Boco blazed over before AFC Fylde were reduced to 10-men on the 90th minute when Lewis Montrose tripped Caprice to receive a second yellow card.

Four minutes stoppage time was shown by the fourth official, and with less than a minute into it Bonne flicked an effort wide from McAnuff’s initial attempt.

With the man advantage Orient continued to push forward and were awarded a free-kick in the 95th minute when Harrold was wrestled down on the edge of the box, though Caprice could only curl his effort into the wall for what proved to be the final chance of the afternoon.

ORIENT: Grainger, Caprice, Ellis, Happe, Brophy, Lawless (Boco 72), Clay, Dayton, McAnuff, Mooney (C) (Harrold 54), Bonne
SUBS: Sargeant, Sendles-White, Ochieng
GOALS: McAnuff (73)

AFC FYLDE: Lynch, Montrose, Francis-Angol, Tunnicliffe, Bond (C) (Richards HT), Hardy, Rowe, McGready (Jones 68), Grand, Smith (Muldoon HT), Burke.
SUBS: Blinkhorn, Tasdemir
GOALS: Rowe (15 & 48)
BOOKED: Bond (29), Montrose (40 & 90)
SENT OFF: Montrose (90)

REFEREE: Simon Barrow
ATTENDANCE: 4,357 (93)