U18 REPORT: AFC Wimbledon 5-3 Leyton Orient

access_time 4 years ago

The hosts went into half time with a comfortable three goal lead and added a fourth in the opening minutes of restart, but the O’s managed to claw two back through Sam Dalby before Amin Benyoucef reduced the deficit to one goal.

That wasn’t to last however, and the hosts added a fifth goal almost immediately and ran out the victors in what was a thrilling game.

Danny Webb made three changes to the starting XI, as goalkeeper Samuel Amedu and Eric Lopes both made their first appearances of the season while Sam Dalby returned to the side after being named in the first team squad last weekend.

The home side made quickest start to the game and clinched two goals within the first 12 minutes. The first came through Osaze Urhoghide who stood strong in the box before he turned and struck the ball past Samuel Amedu.

The second goal came from a corner, when Amedu’s attempted palm fell at the feet of Tyler Burey who placed the ball in the far corner of the net despite being surrounded by Orient defenders.

With just over 20 minutes remaining the hosts increased their lead further, Tyler doubling his tally when he beat Teddy Perkins to a long ball in behind the defence before he took the ball around Amedu and passed it into an empty net.

After a poor 40 minutes for the O’s the final five of the first half saw the team improve going forward as they began to create more chances. Eric Lopes’ cross flashed across the face of goal where Sam Dalby was unable to direct into the net.

However, the opening 45 drew to a close just as Orient looked like a danger to their opponents and after the restart it was the hosts who fired first. Urhoghide blocked Amedu’s attempted clearance, and saw the ball deflect into the net, it gave him his second of the morning.

Despite the hosts getting the early goal, the O’s enjoyed the majority of possession but couldn’t break-through the defence to convert their chances into goals.

Their patience paid off however, when Charles Clayden sprinted to the byline and drilled a cross into the waiting Dalby who tapped the ball home.

The goal seemed to spark some much-needed life into the O’s as two minutes later Dalby was brought down in the box and awarded a penalty which he calmly converted sending the ‘keeper the wrong way in the process.

Quick fire goals from Orient stunned the Dons who couldn’t handle the pace of the attacks that came their way and the O’s showed no sign of letting up when Amin Benyoucef beautifully curled a 20-yard effort past the Dons ‘keeper whose stretched arms were not enough to stop the shot.

The hosts responded to Orient’s third goal immediately when a long-range effort from Bobby Mills flew into the top corner out of the reach of Amedu.

The O’s continued to push for a late goal, when Dalby poked a six-yard chance just wide of the post before his effort from distance was brilliantly tipped over by the AFC Wimbledon ‘keeper to see the game end 5-3 to the hosts.

The U18s are next in action away to Peterborough on Thursday.

ORIENT: Samuel Amedu, Andrew Camilo-Tayaca, Eric Lopes, Ernold Haxhiu, Teddy Perkins, Toby Stevenson, Jaedon Phillips (Bernard Kosia 30 (Luca Carter-Henry 65)), Hector Kyprianou, Sam Dalby, Amin Benyoucef, Charles Clayden (Alfie Fleming 80)
SUBS: Arthur Janata, Brendon Shabani
GOALS: Dalby (2), Benyoucef