U18 REPORT: Peterborough United 1-3 Leyton Orient

access_time 4 years ago

Ruel Sotiriou’s brace saw Leyton Orient go into half time with a goal advantage over the hosts, and Teddy Perkins’ poke midway through the second half ensured the O’s left with all three points.

There were three changes to the side that were defeated at AFC Wimbledon on the weekend. Arthur Janata and Alfie Fleming were restored to the starting XI, while Brendon Shabani was awarded with his first start of the season.

The opening 10 minutes saw Orient attack well and enjoy large spells of possession, but a quick switch from Peterborough caught the visitors off guard. The Posh winger forced an excellent save from Janata who could only block the shot into the path of Harry Brooks who had an easy finish to give his side the lead.

An almost instant response meant Ruel Sotiriou powered through the Posh defenders to break-free, one-on-one with the ‘keeper. He then slotted home to claim the equaliser and his first of the game.

Two minutes later Sotiriou was almost in again, when he pinched the ball off his marker but was only denied by the feet of the Posh shot-stopper.

Sotiriou was causing problems for Peterborough’s back line and notched his and Orient’s second when an inch perfect Eric Lopes through ball set the striker through on goal before he sent the ‘keeper the wrong way to give his side the lead.

When Jaedon Phillips was brought down inside the box the referee awarded the O’s a penalty and Sotiriou the chance to bag his hat-trick inside the first 30 minutes. But the keeper denied the striker the chance to clinch his third as he guessed correctly and gathered the ball gratefully.

After the restart the hosts had a chance saved well from Janata who then sent Sotiriou racing down the other end with only the keeper to beat, but the effort was fired wide after a lively start to the second 45.

Orient were a goal ahead and looked like the only side that were going to score, but a list of missed chances kept the hosts in the game. The best fell to Ernold Haxhiu who ran from deep to latch on to the end of a squared Sotiriou pass, but the midfielders effort was stopped by the fingertips of the ‘keeper.

But the patience from the O’s was to pay off when Charles Clayden swung in a corner ball and Teddy Perkins smartly poked home to give his side a more comfortable 3-1 lead.

Despite being ahead and looking comfortable in possession, the O’s continued to search for goals. Eric Lopes done well to shake off his two markers to create space and strike an effort towards goal, but the ball pinged back off the post before being cleared away from danger, with that the referee called for full-time and Orient returned to East London with all three points.

The O’s take on Tower Hamlets on Monday evening in the FA Youth Cup.

ORIENT: Arthur Janata, Andrew Camilo-Tayaca, Teddy Perkins, Toby Stevenson, Alfie Fleming (Jayden Sweeny 68), Ernold Haxhiu, Brendon Shabani (Will Sanders 85), Eric Lopes, Charles Clayden, Ruel Sotiriou
SUBS: Hector Kyprianou,
GOALS: Sotiriou (2), Perkins