REPORT: Leyton Orient 0-2 Gateshead

access_time 4 years ago

Jordan Burrow headed the visitors into a ninth minute lead, before bagging his second 10 minutes from time to seal victory for the Heed.

Head Coach Steve Davis made two changes to the starting XI ahead of the game, as James Brophy and Jobi McAnuff replaced Romuald Boco and James Dayton who both dropped to the bench.

A quiet opening spell meant neither side created shooting opportunities to begin with and possession was equally shared between the two teams.

Just inside the first 10 minutes of play, Gateshead opened the scores within ten minutes, a ball from the left wing was met by the head of Jordan Burrow who headed past Charlie Grainger.

Orient’s first chance came through Jobi McAnuff, who’s through ball released Jake Caprice in to the box before the wing-backs shot was well blocked by Dan Hanford.

Midway through the second half the visitors had several chances to double their but for strong defending from the O’s back line. Mark Ellis blocked shots from JJ O’Donnell and Luke Hannant before an excellent sliding tackle pushed the ball away from Russ Penn as he lined-up a shot from inside the area.

Orient enjoyed plenty of possession in midfield but struggled to unlock the Gateshead defence as they sat deep.

As the half time break approached, Brophy broke down the left wing and crossed from the by-line for Macauley Bonne to volley an effort on goal, but the referee stopped play as Hanford gathered the ball due the ball leaving the field on play in the build-up.

Jordan Preston fired O’Donnell’s deep cross wide of the target as the visitors looked to hit the O’s on the counter attack.

As the teams returned for the second half, Orient made a change that saw James Dayton replace Joe Widdowson, Gateshead also introduced Theo Vassell to the action.

Dayton got stuck in to the action immediately and provided a good cross in to the box, but ‘keeper Hanford reached the ball just before Bonne and just tipped it out of the striker’s path.

Moments later, Judd, Mooney and Bonne linked up well on the left to set up a shot for Dayton on the edge of the box but the goal-bound was blocked before it troubled Hanford.

As the hour mark passed, Caprice forced a cross through to Mooney who took a touch to set himself up but the effort that followed was quickly blocked by Hanford in the Gateshead goal.

In the saw quarter of an hour Orient went close to levelling the scores when Sotiriou bounced a pass back to Craig Clay just outside of the box but the midfielders attempted was dragged wide of the target.

Two minutes later, Romuald Boco’s floated free-kick was headed inches wide of the post by Ellis.

However, the visitors doubled their lead on the 80th minute when a defensive mix up allowed Burrow to slot home in to an empty net, notching his second of the evening and clinching the three points for the visitors.

ORIENT: Grainger, Caprice, Ellis, Happe, Widdowson (Dayton 45), Judd, Clay, McAnuff (Boco 68), Brophy, Mooney (C) (Sotiriou 67), Bonne
SUBS: Sargeant, Westbrooke
BOOKED: Judd (20), McAnuff (57)

GATESHEAD: Hanford, Barrow, Kerr, Byrne(C), Burrow, Preston, McLaughlin, O’Donnell, Penn (Maxwell 70), Hannant, Williams (Vassell 45)
SUBS: Vassell, York, Peniket, Johnson
GOALS Burrow (9 & 80)
BOOKED: Burrow (72), Maxwell (86)

REFEREE: Carl Brook
ATTENDANCE: 3,468 (63)