REACTION: Defender Mark Ellis following the O's 2-2 draw at Wrexham

access_time 4 years ago

The Carlisle loanee fired an 85th minute equaliser to secure a point at the Racecourse Stadium, and on reflection the 29-year-old felt the team showed good character in North Wales.

“We can be pleased to have come away with the draw but I think we can also be frustrated in some ways for not getting more than that,” Ellis told

“It was a good performance from everyone involved and great that we were able to fight back and get at least a point, because since I have been at the Club we have played some nice stuff on several occasions without having anything to show for it.”

The O’s dominated possession for large parts of the first half before going into the break at 1-1 thanks to Macauley Bonne’s 23rd minute leveller. Despite explaining how confidence was high in the dressing room, Ellis admitted the team must switch on from the very start after conceding the opener inside the first minute.

“After getting ourselves back into the game we were all upbeat in the dressing room at half time and knew we had played some good stuff with also creating a few half chances, though it was extremely disappointing to concede as early as we did and we know we need to do so much better than that.

“We need to become tighter throughout games, from the first minute to the last, and cut out mistakes if we are to get clean sheets. Hopefully coming back twice from being a goal down will give us a bit of confidence going into future games,” he added.

“We got a bit of fortune with Macca’s goal but that is probably the bit of luck we have been needing in recent weeks. It is a case of grinding until the last minute of every game and those things will drop your way from time to time.

A tight second half saw the O’s continue to look good in possession, but Wrexham restored their lead on the 71st minute when Chris Holroyd notched his second of the afternoon, only for Ellis to ensure Orient brought a point back to E10 with an emphatic header five minutes from time.

“It was one of those where we hadn’t really looked troubled before conceding, and they are the things we need to cut out because had we done so, we would be standing here talking about a 2-1 victory and three points.

“It was frustrating to concede but we kept on going and managed to recover quickly. It was nice to get my first goal for the Club, and the delivery was perfect from Rommy,” explained Ellis.

“I had said to him in the first half that the ball was on, and it was on again so I managed to catch his eye and let him know where I wanted it. I was fortunate to get on the end of it and pleased to see it fly into the back of the net to get us the point we deserved.”