Live now
English Football League - League Two
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
Mansfield Town
Mansfield Town

U18 REPORT: Barnet 1-3 Leyton Orient

access_time 4 years ago

The reverse fixture in early September ended in a narrow 4-3 defeat the O’s were out to seek revenge.

Sam Dalby opened the scoring after 30 minutes of play, before Ruel Sotiriou added a second just before the break.

The hosts pulled one back after the restart but Toby Stevenson’s second half header ensured victory for Orient.

After the midweek 5-0 win over Biggleswade Town, Samuel Amedu, Jaedon Phillips and Trialist A were introduced to the starting line up in place of Arthur Janata and Alfie Fleming who were rested, while Charles Clayden was sidelined through injury.

Orient looked like the side in control as the game kicked off, they enjoyed the majority of possession and created the most chances.

Two early opportunities fell for Toby Stevenson, the first came closest when the defender clipped the bar after some good work down the right from Andrew Camilo-Tayaca to square the bal.

But Barnet were still a threat to the O’s as they looked to catch the back line on the counter attack, but ‘keeper Sam Amedu stood firm in the Orient goal.

Sam Dalby gave the O’s the lead when he flicked Eric Lopes’ free-kick past Renell Mckenzie-Lyle in the Barnet goal.

Ruel Sotiriou doubled the lead moments before half time when Sam Amedu’s quick goal kick released the striker in behind the Barnet defence, Sotiriou then left the ‘keeper grounded as he went around him and passed the ball in to an empty net.

Mason Hall was introduced to play at half time as he continued his recovery following a knee injury, to replace captain Teddy Perkins.

Barnet started the second half on top and looked to have been spurred on at the break as they continued to press for a goal, and it came when Antonis Vasiliou picked up the ball just outside of the box and placed it in to the top corner to pull one back for the hosts.

Almost immediately the O’s looked to right their wrongs when Dalby’s through ball in to the box for Sotiriou only needed a touch but ‘keeper Mckenzie-Lyle did well to close down the striker’s effort.

Although Barnet had just scored Orient defended well to preserve the lead until Stevenson added a third when he popped up at the back post to nod in Camilo-Tayaca’s floated cross.

The O’s were able to see out the 10 minutes that remained comfortably despite being reduced to nine-men as Ernold Haxhiu and Hector Kyprianou were both shown second yellows for separate fouls as the game drew to an end.

Speaking after the victory Danny Webb said; “I’m very much pleased with the performance, I’m starting to see a real team out there, and something I’ve always wanted to do is build teams, build players and improve players. Now we are seeing a product of hard work from me, Pete [Gill] and the rest of the Academy staff. The boys are really starting to improve as a team and as individuals.

“ I thought Sam [Amedu] was excellent, his only other league game this season was at AFC Wimbledon where he looked really nervous but he shouldn’t be, because he’s a good goalkeeper and should be confident. Today he played like a professional, set up a goal from a kick and made some good saves and really looked the part.”

ORIENT: Samuel Amedu, Andrew Camilo-Tayaca, Teddy Perkins, Trialist A, Eric Lopes, Ernold Haxhiu, Hector Kyprianou, Jaedon Phillips, Toby Stevenson, Sam Dalby, Ruel Sotiriou
SUBS: Arthur Janata, Luca Carter-Henry, Mason Hall, Alfie Fleming, Will Sanders
GOALS: Sam Dalby, Ruel Sotiriou, Toby Stevenson