U18 REPORT: Southend United 2-6 Leyton Orient

access_time 4 years ago

For the trip to Boots & Laces Orient made two changes, as Mason Hall came in for his first start of the season and captain Teddy Perkins returned in place of Hector Kyprianou and Ernold Haxhiu who missed out through suspension.

On the back of last Saturday’s 3-1 win at Barnet, the O’s were in high spirits and got off to a fantastic start when Jaedon Phillips opened the scoring on the third minute following great play by Andrew Camilo-Tayaca on the right.

One soon became two, as Ruel Sotiriou doubled the advantage on the fifth minute with a composed finish having broken clear of the Southend defence.

The fast start had blown the hosts away, and before the match had reached the 10-minute mark Orient notched a third when Charles Clayden’s ball in from the flank was diverted beyond the goalkeeper by a Southend defender.

The eventful opening period was not to stop there however, as Southend pulled one back on the 11th minute when Dan Humphrey’s strike from 25-yards took a deflection to beat Samuel Adedu in the O’s goal.

Following four goals in such a short period of time, the game slowed down as the half worse on with Amedu producing a smart stop just shy of the 30th minute when he reacted well to hold a strike from the edge of the box.

With the half time interval looming Orient were able to restore their three-goal lead however, as defender Mason Hall marked his first start of the season by getting on the scoresheet with a header from a corner on the 42nd minute.

It had been a dominant half from the O’s who deserved their advantage, but following the restart conceded for a second time when Sewa Marah fired home on 52 minutes.

Marah’s strike led to several opportunities for the hosts as they looked to spark a comeback, but were to be left frustrated as Amedu pulled off two strong stops to keep out strikes from distance before a scramble from a corner was eventually cleared off the line by an Orient defender.

Having withstood the pressure the game was then put beyond any doubt 10 minutes from time, as Phillips registered his second of the day by pouncing on a rebound to poke home following good work on the left.

The O’s day was then made even sweeter on the 83rd minute, when Sam Dalby added his name to the scoresheet with a superb free-kick from the edge of the box to seal an impressive victory for Danny Webb’s side.

Orient are next in action tomorrow night when they host Sholing at the Matchroom Stadium in the FA Youth Cup Second Round, kick-off 7.30pm.

ORIENT: Samuel Amedu, Andrew Camilo-Tayaca, Mason Hall (Eric Lopes 70), Trialist, Toby Stevenson, Jaedon Phillips, Teddy Perkins (C), Luca Carter-Henry, Charles Clayden (Alfie Fleming 84), Ruel Sotiriou, Sam Dalby
SUBS: Brendon Shabani, Will Sanders
GOALS: Phillips (2), Sotiriou, OG, Hall, Dalby