REPORT: Torquay United 3-0 Leyton Orient

access_time 4 years ago

Torquay took the lead on the 16th minute when Josh McQuoid was on hand to tap home from a yard out, before the hosts doubled their lead on the half hour mark as Luke Young found the bottom corner with a strike from outside the box.

Torquay then sealed the victory early in the second half, as Jamie Reid bagged the Gulls third on the 47th minute, before defender Jake Caprice was sent off four minutes from time.

Following Tuesday night’s draw at home to Chester, Orient Interim Head Coach Ross Embleton made five changes to the starting XI.

Charlie Grainger returned in goal following a hip injury, whilst loan signing Bondz N’Gala was handed his O’s debut having arrived from Dagenham & Redbridge on Thursday. Josh Koroma also came into the side, along with Zain Westbrooke and Matt Harrold.

Orient were without Jamie Sendles-White and Macauley Bonne who served respective one-match suspensions, plus midfielder Alex Lawless who was ruled out with a groin injury.

On a chilly day at Plainmoor the O’s got off to a sloppy start, and with 13 minutes played Torquay striker Ruairi Keating headed wide from a Liam Davis cross.

Three minutes later the hosts were to make the breakthrough, as a misplaced pass from Craig Clay released Keating in the penalty area and his cutback was met by Josh McQuoid who gratefully tapped home at the back post.

The opener was a gift for Torquay who had looked the brighter of the sides, and with 26 minutes played defender Alex Davey attempted to double their lead when he headed over from a Damon Lathrope free-kick.

Orient had really struggled to see much of the ball in the opposing third, and managed to record their first effort on goal on the 29th minute when Matt Harrold’s looping header was held by Vincent Dorel.

A minute later the O’s half was to get even worse however, as Torquay bagged a second through Luke Young who drilled a low shot beyond the reach of Charlie Grainger having intercepted a Zain Westbrooke pass.

Davis could have added a third two minutes later when he burst forward on the overlap, but despite connecting cleanly with his strike Grainger reacted well to push the effort behind for a corner, which was subsequently fired wide by Keating.

With seven minutes of the first half remaining Orient did have the ball in the net through James Dayton, but despite latching onto Josh Koroma’s free-kick the midfielder was deemed to be offside by the assistant referee on the far side and the goal was ruled out.

One minute stoppage time was shown at the end of the first half and with seconds remaining there was concern for goalkeeper Grainger as he stayed down in the box after diving at the feet of Jamie Reid.

Grainger was able to see out the remainder of stoppage time but after being assessed by the medical team during the interval was replaced by Sam Sargeant as the O’s also made two changes and also introduced Romuald Boco in place of Westbrooke.
The O’s were in need of a strong start to the second half but with less than two minutes of the restart found themselves conceding a third as Torquay countered from a corner and Reid raced through to fire beyond Sargeant.

It had been one-way traffic for much of the game but the O’s were able to create two good chances as the hour-mark approached when Dan Happe first fired over from a McAnuff free-kick before Dayton stung the hands of Dorel with a rasping strike from the edge of the box.

Despite the two changes it was Torquay who threatened next and on the 61st minute could have had a fourth when Happe’s interception ran through to Reid who took the ball in his stride before being superbly denied by Sargeant.

Ruel Sotiriou was then brought on for the O’s final change of the game, as the young forward came on in place of Koroma with 63 minutes on the clock.

Having made all three substitutions Orient created a couple of half chances but continued to struggle, and those frustrations were shown on the 86th minute when Jake Caprice was shown a straight red card following a poor challenge on Lathrope to end a terrible day at Plainmoor.

TORQUAY: Dorel, Efete, Davey, McGinty (C), Barnum-Bobb, Young, Lathrope, Davis, McQuoid (Gnabouyou 81), Reid, Keating (Murphy 74)
SUBS: Clarke, Higgins, Myrie-Williams
GOALS: McQuoid (16), Young (30), Reid (47)

ORIENT: Grainger (Sargeant HT), Caprice, N’Gala, Happe, Widdowson, Westbrooke (Boco HT), Clay, Dayton, McAnuff (C), Koroma (Sotiriou 63), Harrold
SUBS: Ellis, Mooney
BOOKED: Dayton
SENT OFF: Caprice (86)

REFEREE: Carl Brook
ATTENDANCE: 1,913 (316 Orient supporters)